Dodge Nitro Forum - Forums and Owners Club! SRT Viper Forum

Go Back   Dodge Nitro Forum - Forums and Owners Club! > Dodge Nitro Forum - Dodge Nitro Discussion > Dodge Nitro General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Nitro General Discussion General Chat about the Nitro. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Dodge Nitro Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Nitro
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:750
NPHBOB is a splendid one to beholdNPHBOB is a splendid one to beholdNPHBOB is a splendid one to beholdNPHBOB is a splendid one to beholdNPHBOB is a splendid one to beholdNPHBOB is a splendid one to beholdNPHBOB is a splendid one to behold
Default Steering wheel

A few months ago, I posted that I was getting a "clicking" sound when I was steering at slow speeds like puling into the driveway or a parking spot. Since it was intermittent, I just kept driving it and had just about forgot about it. Funny how you get used to something and then tend to ignore it.

Anyway, my wife drive the Nitro the other day for the first time in a long time and she asked me if I noticed a problem with the steering. Of course this brought me out of my self-induced coma and I began paying attention again. Sure enough the sound was still there only worse!

I took it into the dealer and they found the problem. The nut (no, not me) holding the steering wheel had come loose allowing play in the wheel.

They checked everything out and then tightened it to the correct torque setting. The service manage said he had never seen this happen before and was pretty confused as to why it did happen. His only guess was that the nut had not been properly torqued down when they put the Nitro together. After a while, it just started working loose. I sure am glad it didn't decide to come off altogether...that would have been pretty special!!!!

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience with the forum in case anyone else is having similar symptoms. Don't ignore it like I did...I guess I just got lucky!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Khaki Nitro Nut

Vehicle: 07 Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Light Khaki Metallic
Rep:13555
Scar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond repute

Great Info Bob. I will have to file that in the catalogue...
For future reference.
Mods; RAM Air, CAI, Rack, FT Hood, JBA 2.5" Lift, Lighted cup-holders, Muffler, Bumper Grill, Mudders, EuroTails
Old 05-11-2009, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: Nitro
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:1691
JOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPHBOB View Post
A few months ago, I posted that I was getting a "clicking" sound when I was steering at slow speeds like puling into the driveway or a parking spot. Since it was intermittent, I just kept driving it and had just about forgot about it. Funny how you get used to something and then tend to ignore it.

Anyway, my wife drive the Nitro the other day for the first time in a long time and she asked me if I noticed a problem with the steering. Of course this brought me out of my self-induced coma and I began paying attention again. Sure enough the sound was still there only worse!

I took it into the dealer and they found the problem. The nut (no, not me) holding the steering wheel had come loose allowing play in the wheel.

They checked everything out and then tightened it to the correct torque setting. The service manage said he had never seen this happen before and was pretty confused as to why it did happen. His only guess was that the nut had not been properly torqued down when they put the Nitro together. After a while, it just started working loose. I sure am glad it didn't decide to come off altogether...that would have been pretty special!!!!

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience with the forum in case anyone else is having similar symptoms. Don't ignore it like I did...I guess I just got lucky!
WOW! Thanks! we have 2 sxt's at the garage and BOTH have that clicking sound, from day one back in August '07 when purchased. At my best guess is that it was a sensor... Is there a chance to fix it my self?
Both Nitros: Gibson duals & rectangular tips, Pirelli Pzero 265/45/20, Startech rear spoiler/20'' rims/dash/speaker trim, Tint, Putco handle/mirror covers, D.I.Y CAI, IAT sensor mod, The fastman throttle body, Halo HID 8K h/lights, Drilled/slotted discs, Ceramic pads, Side boards, Console cover, Billet door locks, Hood shocks, LED turn signal.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:27 AM

NPHBOB is a splendid one to beholdNPHBOB is a splendid one to beholdNPHBOB is a splendid one to beholdNPHBOB is a splendid one to beholdNPHBOB is a splendid one to beholdNPHBOB is a splendid one to beholdNPHBOB is a splendid one to behold

Johnny,

I am not exactly sure what they did but I would assume that the nut is located behind the air bag on the steering wheel. I haven't messed with them but I have heard some horror stories about air bags so unless you are familiar with how to handle them, I would suggest you let someone with the proper experience check out the issue.

One thing the service manager did was sit in the Nitro and then pull on the steering wheel straight back towards him. There was quite a bit of play which was not normal. Since they tightened the nut, you can pull on the steering wheel and it doesn't move at all.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:44 AM

Rep:1691
JOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant futureJOHNNY has a brilliant future

Again thank you.
What We hear is "clicks" when the wheel is rotated a few degrees to the left or right. I will report this to the dealer and see.
Both Nitros: Gibson duals & rectangular tips, Pirelli Pzero 265/45/20, Startech rear spoiler/20'' rims/dash/speaker trim, Tint, Putco handle/mirror covers, D.I.Y CAI, IAT sensor mod, The fastman throttle body, Halo HID 8K h/lights, Drilled/slotted discs, Ceramic pads, Side boards, Console cover, Billet door locks, Hood shocks, LED turn signal.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY View Post
Again thank you.
What We hear is "clicks" when the wheel is rotated a few degrees to the left or right. I will report this to the dealer and see.
That is exactly what mine was doing. It almost sounded like something was catching on the plastic housing around the steering column. You might try sitting in the driver's seat and then pull straight back on the wheel with both hands. That is what the service guy did and the wheel moved back and forth about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. There should be NO play at all.

Good luck with the dealer! You might want to print out some of this thread to take with you just in case they claim the don't know what is wrong. I have done that on a couple of things and my dealer really acted like they appreciated the heads up!

Be sure to let us know how you come out!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Dodge Nitro Forum Newbie

Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:34
safecracker4hire is on a distinguished road

Hi all;

Just wanted to say "Thanks" for this thread... and to show my appreciation, I've detailed the repair on my blog, with pictures, in the hope that I can help someone else out. You can find it here --> http://kylestubbins.com/node/163

Regards;
Kyle
Old 12-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Khaki Nitro Nut

Vehicle: 07 Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7
Color: Light Khaki Metallic
Rep:13555
Scar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond reputeScar0 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by safecracker4hire View Post
Hi all;

Just wanted to say "Thanks" for this thread... and to show my appreciation, I've detailed the repair on my blog, with pictures, in the hope that I can help someone else out. You can find it here --> http://kylestubbins.com/node/163

Regards;
Kyle
Welcome to the forum Kyle,
Good write up!
40 Ft. Lbs. is the torque for the steering wheel bolt.
You should do a write up here and submit it to the How-To section. It would be a great addition to our knowledge base.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie section and introduce yourself. That way we can welcome you all proper like.
Mods; RAM Air, CAI, Rack, FT Hood, JBA 2.5" Lift, Lighted cup-holders, Muffler, Bumper Grill, Mudders, EuroTails
Old 12-29-2009, 04:25 PM

Vehicle: 07 Nitro 4X4 3.7L 4spd AT
Rep:1262
Miss Daisy has much to be proud ofMiss Daisy has much to be proud ofMiss Daisy has much to be proud ofMiss Daisy has much to be proud ofMiss Daisy has much to be proud ofMiss Daisy has much to be proud ofMiss Daisy has much to be proud ofMiss Daisy has much to be proud ofMiss Daisy has much to be proud of
Smile

Welcome Kyle, and thanks bunches for the info!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Dodge Nitro Forum Newbie

Rep:22
tobyanglinznitro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by safecracker4hire View Post
Hi all;

Regards;
Kyle
Dude, THANK YOU. This is awesome! I'll be sure to post back my experience with this repair. Thanks again!