Dodge Nitro Forum - Forums and Owners Club! SRT Viper Forum

Go Back   Dodge Nitro Forum - Forums and Owners Club! > Dodge Nitro Help Zone - Dodge Nitro Problems, Complaints, and Solutions > Dodge Nitro Electrical Problems and Questions

Notices

Dodge Nitro Electrical Problems and Questions Discuss any Dodge Nitro interior/exterior electrical problems/questions in this forum. Lighting, stereo, power windows, etc.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Dodge Nitro Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Nitro
Trim Level: SXT
Rep:4153
NitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation TIP Start Feature

Tip Start: A feature that allows the driver to crank and start the engine by turning the key to the start position and then releasing it. The vehicle electronics will then take over the cranking and starting process to ensure that proper engine speed is attained, to release the starter motor at the appropriate time, and to prevent double starts.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:21 AM

Trim Level: R/T
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:93
NotYoNitro will become famous soon enough

Ohhhhh. That makes sense. What I usually end up doing is putting in the key and keeping it turned until the engine fires up. Based on this it sounds like I can just turn the key to start and then back again and let the electronics take over. Am I reading that right?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:19 PM

NitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond reputeNitroTech has a reputation beyond repute

That's right, give it a quick turn, let go and it will start.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:31 PM

Trim Level: SLT
Rep:257
AirJunky is a jewel in the roughAirJunky is a jewel in the roughAirJunky is a jewel in the rough

There was an issue posted on here a while back where someone reported starting their Nitro & releasing the key, only to have the starter continue to spin even after the engine was running. A small number of readers replied that they too had experienced the problem, including myself....... once. At the time I thought it was because I had "flicked" the key quickly to start the truck.

Any chance the problem is related to this feature? Has any TSB mentioned an issue like this? It happened to me months ago & hasn't happened again...... but my dealer has applied the patches to several TSBs twice already.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:38 PM

It could very well be related. I'm sure not many are aware of the TIP Start feature and when the start runs on and the vehicle starts it may be viewed to them as a problem. However, if the starter remains engaged after the vehicle has started then there obviously are other issues that may be in fact be related to this feature.

Starting fuctions are controlled by the PCM and TIPM.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Dodge Nitro Forum

Vehicle: Dodge Nitro
Color: Black
Rep:7721
Quiet Lunatic has a reputation beyond reputeQuiet Lunatic has a reputation beyond reputeQuiet Lunatic has a reputation beyond reputeQuiet Lunatic has a reputation beyond reputeQuiet Lunatic has a reputation beyond reputeQuiet Lunatic has a reputation beyond reputeQuiet Lunatic has a reputation beyond reputeQuiet Lunatic has a reputation beyond reputeQuiet Lunatic has a reputation beyond reputeQuiet Lunatic has a reputation beyond reputeQuiet Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute

i've gotten in the habbit of using this so much that when i jump in another vehicle that doesn't have it, i wonder why it doesn't start!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Join!Resistance is futile

Color: Stone White
Rep:12758
dk1677 has a reputation beyond reputedk1677 has a reputation beyond reputedk1677 has a reputation beyond reputedk1677 has a reputation beyond reputedk1677 has a reputation beyond reputedk1677 has a reputation beyond reputedk1677 has a reputation beyond reputedk1677 has a reputation beyond reputedk1677 has a reputation beyond reputedk1677 has a reputation beyond reputedk1677 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dk1677
Default Me too vanstee

I use a Toyota FJ at work some times and you have to hold it in start for what seems like quite a while
Forum Rules

Old 06-06-2007, 06:49 AM

Color: Electric Blue
Rep:16
McGuireV10 is on a distinguished road

Occasionally Mercedes did have some good ideas.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 AM

Color: Black
Rep:454
Pshrynk is a glorious beacon of lightPshrynk is a glorious beacon of lightPshrynk is a glorious beacon of lightPshrynk is a glorious beacon of lightPshrynk is a glorious beacon of light

Cool I was wondering why it started so well!!

I though it was my key turning but apparently the car is smarter than me
Old 06-06-2007, 10:28 AM

Vehicle: Nitro 4x4
Rep:310
BearlyNitro is a jewel in the roughBearlyNitro is a jewel in the roughBearlyNitro is a jewel in the roughBearlyNitro is a jewel in the rough
Question Comparison??? Nitro vs Toyota FJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1677 View Post
I use a Toyota FJ at work some times and you have to hold it in start for what seems like quite a while
I looked at, but didn't test drive the FJ before buying the Nitro and it is probably considered by many potential Nitro buyers.

Since you drive both, how about a short comparison of the two? (in another thread)

The inside of the FJ looks very........utility vehicle and not comfortable or full featured, like my Nitro R/T. I like the quality of Toyota's, but the brand name is starting to cost a lot more too lately.