Steering wheel

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro General Discussion' started by NPHBOB, May 11, 2009.

1. NPHBOB

NPHBOB Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Electric Blue
    A few months ago, I posted that I was getting a "clicking" sound when I was steering at slow speeds like puling into the driveway or a parking spot. Since it was intermittent, I just kept driving it and had just about forgot about it. Funny how you get used to something and then tend to ignore it.

Anyway, my wife drive the Nitro the other day for the first time in a long time and she asked me if I noticed a problem with the steering. Of course this brought me out of my self-induced coma and I began paying attention again. Sure enough the sound was still there only worse!

I took it into the dealer and they found the problem. The nut (no, not me) holding the steering wheel had come loose allowing play in the wheel.

They checked everything out and then tightened it to the correct torque setting. The service manage said he had never seen this happen before and was pretty confused as to why it did happen. His only guess was that the nut had not been properly torqued down when they put the Nitro together. After a while, it just started working loose. I sure am glad it didn't decide to come off altogether...that would have been pretty special!!!! :SHOCKED:

Anyway, I thought I would share my experience with the forum in case anyone else is having similar symptoms. Don't ignore it like I did...I guess I just got lucky! :eek:

Scar0 likes this.
  2. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07 Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Great Info Bob. I will have to file that in the catalogue... :thk:
    For future reference. :rep:

3. JOHNNY

JOHNNY Active Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    WOW! Thanks! we have 2 sxt's at the garage and BOTH have that clicking sound, from day one back in August '07 when purchased. At my best guess is that it was a sensor... Is there a chance to fix it my self?

4. NPHBOB

NPHBOB Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Electric Blue
    Johnny,

I am not exactly sure what they did but I would assume that the nut is located behind the air bag on the steering wheel. I haven't messed with them but I have heard some horror stories about air bags so unless you are familiar with how to handle them, I would suggest you let someone with the proper experience check out the issue.

One thing the service manager did was sit in the Nitro and then pull on the steering wheel straight back towards him. There was quite a bit of play which was not normal. Since they tightened the nut, you can pull on the steering wheel and it doesn't move at all.

Hope this helps and good luck!

5. JOHNNY

JOHNNY Active Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    Again thank you.
    What We hear is "clicks" when the wheel is rotated a few degrees to the left or right. I will report this to the dealer and see.

6. NPHBOB

NPHBOB Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Electric Blue
    That is exactly what mine was doing. It almost sounded like something was catching on the plastic housing around the steering column. You might try sitting in the driver's seat and then pull straight back on the wheel with both hands. That is what the service guy did and the wheel moved back and forth about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch. There should be NO play at all.

Good luck with the dealer! You might want to print out some of this thread to take with you just in case they claim the don't know what is wrong. I have done that on a couple of things and my dealer really acted like they appreciated the heads up!

Be sure to let us know how you come out! :D

7. safecracker4hire

safecracker4hire New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Hi all;

Just wanted to say "Thanks" for this thread... and to show my appreciation, I've detailed the repair on my blog, with pictures, in the hope that I can help someone else out. You can find it here --> http://kylestubbins.com/node/163

Regards;
    Kyle

CharlieK and Scar0 like this.
  8. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07 Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Welcome to the forum Kyle, :wave:
    Good write up! :rep:
    40 Ft. Lbs. is the torque for the steering wheel bolt.
    You should do a write up here and submit it to the How-To section. It would be a great addition to our knowledge base.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie section and introduce yourself. That way we can welcome you all proper like.

9. Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07 Nitro 4X4 3.7L 4spd AT
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    :wavey: Welcome Kyle, and thanks bunches for the info!

10. tobyanglinznitro

tobyanglinznitro New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    Dude, THANK YOU. This is awesome! I'll be sure to post back my experience with this repair. Thanks again!

11. polishfly

polishfly Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Black
    SWEET! I just started having this problem on my 07 RT and I got a little sad thinking it might need its first big repair, but it looks like I have a few screws loose!!! Woohoo!