Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to every1. I have an 07 4x4 and saturday it lef me at the store. Hit the powe lock on keyfob n the doors didnt lock so I thought no biggie until I get in it to leave and I have no power to nothing. Yhe dome lights work n the battery is a week old and has 12.9. Volts.. had my tech pick it up and haul it to his shop.They looked at it and checked sum eletrical items such as the junction box.he told me to take It to the dealer the last place I want to go. So I was wondering if any1 else on here had any problems like this maybe you could shed a lil light on my issue.no power when key is on.unhook the batt. N then hook it up n the horn blowes out of control.let it sit all day n nite and it will start the next day but then if you try n lock the doors w/keyfob now theres no power to nothing , no instument panel, no headlights , nothing.turn the key on to start n it chimes like 15 times. Can any1 here pls help me b4 I burn this nitro. Thank you, thomas.

· Nitro Addict!
538 Posts
Wow! That is a strange problem you have there. I have not heard of this from any other Nitro owners, but maybe someone who has been active here the past several years will remember something similar and point you in the right direction.

I agree with your decision to NOT take it to the dealer, unless it is a last resort. If you look at the rest of the forum, you will probably find a few threads where I have been complaining about my dealership service dept., their practices and the insane costs they charge. I am right in the middle of fixing an over heating problem on my Nitro and need to get back to work on it in a few minutes.

I took my Nitro to the dealer thinking that I would have them do the work, until I got the estimate of what they wanted to charge me. I then had to take a tow dolly to pick my Nitro back up to tow home and my battery was strangely dead, so I could not put the auto trans into Neutral, without removing the battery from the tow vehicle and connecting it to my Nitro for a minute.

Now that I have it back home, I have recharged my battery and when I reconnected the battery cables to it on the Nitro, I 1st heard a loud click from the fuse box, so quickly disconnected the cable again. The 2nd time I touched the cable to the charged battery, the horn sounded a quick chirp. I removed the cable from the battery again and just decided to finish the repairs first, then worry about my battery and reconnecting it to the Nitro when everything else is done. I hope I don't have another problem with the electrical to chase down after I finish the rest of my repairs to what ever is causing my over heating problem.

Let us know what you figure out on your Nitro, even if you don't get the answers you need from someone else here, and welcome to the forum.

· Lighting Guru!
3,588 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum 'badblknitro". You came to the right place for anything Nitro.

The Nitro is very finicky with electrical supply. Even slightly under the normal level of power and the vehicle may not turn on. I know you said your battery is only a week old, but make sure it is actually holding a full charge, when the vehicle is powered off.

This sounds like a classic case of a failing TIPM. The TIPM is the fuse box right behind the battery that basically is the brain for the entire vehicle. The uncontrollable horn is very common with a failing TIPM. If this is the case, replacement of the TIPM is the only solution. Bad TIPMs are very common on early model Nitros.

You can however, look for any exposed or corroded wires going into the TIPM. This could be causing issues of some sorts.

· Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
29,175 Posts
Hello and welcome badblknitro (Thomas), :wave: to the Nitro “Z” family!
Sorry it is under these circumstances. meder24 hit the nail on the head.
Your TIPM is bad. You may not have to "burn" the Nitro as it may do this on it's own. There are 4 documented cases here on the forum of TIPM smolders/fires. If you want to keep your rig, disconnect the battery till you replace the TIPM.
Always disconnect Neg (-) first then Pos (+), reconnect Pos (+) then Neg (-)!
NEVER disconnect the Pos (+) with Neg (-) still connected, and NEVER connect the Neg (-) without the Pos (+) already connected.

If you do it backward, you can fry the TIPM, as another member here learned the hard way...
See this post about TIPM replacements, and the links in it.

I'm looking forward to your future posts & Pics. We love Pics here!
We also like new Mod ideas. :smileup:
Enjoy the forumZ.
Scar

BTW;
If you go to your User CP and fill in the details (Vehicle: ) info about your rig, the easier it will be for us to answer questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions. :thk:
As you can see in the upper right of every post I make;

This is what I drive:
Vehicle: 07 Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Light Khaki Metallic

· Registered
2,082 Posts
FYI
I had a click one time when I reconnected battery.... battery was too low.

On my 07 when reconnecting the -- terminal on a Good battery the horn will Chirp once and scare the H out of you..Normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts