Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have an 07 Nitro SLT. When I turn the key off and remove it from the cylinder, the engine stays running, and all accessories and dash lights stay on. The only way to kill it is to start pulling relays out of the TIPM. Even after the engine stops, all the accessories and dash lights stay on. Engine starts and runs fine. The check engine light is not on. I connected my OBD II reader and there are no logged or pending codes. I looked at the most common problems people have with a faulty TIPM, but this doesn't appear to be one of them, as everything stays on, not just the fuel pump, or random window/lock operations. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Kevin

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
do you have Remote Start .

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum toolman111.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

I was thinking the same thing as Nitrogen when I read the title.
If you have an OEM remote start, try pressing the hazard light switch. This should kill the remote start functions.
If not, then maybe a bad key lock cylinder.
Or it could be a bad relay. K1, K2, K10, and possibly K4.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,585 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Good to have you here. Enjoy!

BTW... Post a pic of your Nitro when you can!:cool:

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow...that was fast!

The keyfob has a remote start button on it, so I assume it does, but that hasn't been tested yet, as my son just bought the vehicle a few days ago. We knew of this problem before he bought it, but that didn't scare us away.

We will try turning the ignition off, then press the hazard button, and see if everything shuts off. If it does, is there a remote start module somewhere that needs repair or replacing? Sounds like a relay is stuck on, or the module has failed.

Pulling relays only stops the engine, nothing shuts off inside the vehicle when relays are pulled. We pulled every large square grey relay, one at a time, and it made no difference.

If all the above doesn't work, we will pull the covers off the steering column, and unplug the ignition switch and see if everything turns off.

Thanks for the quick replies so far.

Kevin

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
you could also try a Vehicle Computer Reset: disconnect the NEGATIVE battery lead for 10 minutes, then reconnect,
this can be quite effective for electrical issues.

Don't forget to sign in as a Newbie.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have the negative cable disconnected all the time, because if we don't, everything stays on, and it drains the battery. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
ok worth a shot.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,546 Posts
Use caution when working in the steering wheel area. Airbags can be painful when set off accidentally. ;) :mad: :eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Charged the battery for about 30 minutes. Connected the negative battery cable, and everything comes to life.

dash lights come on, radio comes on, cd changer cycles through the discs, fuel pump primed and then shut off. I pressed the hazard lights button, and the radio turned off, but the rest stayed on. When I turned the hazards off, the radio stayed off but the dash lights stayed on.

I started it with the key, turned the key off, and removed it, pressed the hazard lights button, engine stayed running, dash lights stayed on. Had to pull a relay (K10) to get engine to stop.

Doors lock and unlock with the keyfob. I press the remote start button twice, the lights flash, but no start.

All the dash lights are on, I insert the key and turn it to run, a small round red led in the center of the gauges lights for a couple seconds, and then goes off.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did some more process of elimination.

- took a picture of the TIPM
- removed all relays and fuses
- connected negative battery cable
- inserted fuses one at a time until dash lights came on
- fuse M28 NGC/TRANS FEED/J1962
- removed M28 and kept inserting other fuses, no others made dash lights and ignition turn on, all fuses in except M28
- disconnected negative cable, waited, reconnected
- inserted key in ignition, turned to run, dash lights came on
- tried starting, started, engine died after a few seconds
- turned key off
- tried restarting, wouldn't
- disconnected negative cable, inserted fuse in M28, reconnected cable, no dash lights turned on
- inserted key, turned to run, dash lit up, started and ran, turned key to off, engine stopped
- tried restarting, started, turned key off, engine stopped

Everything appears to be functioning properly now. There must have been a code of some sort stored in a module that cleared itself when I started it without M28 inserted. The sequencing must have allowed it to clear, as everything seems to work like normal so far. (fingers crossed)

I will update if problem returns, or other problems come up Thanks for the help.

Kevin

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,546 Posts
All the dash lights are on, I insert the key and turn it to run, a small round red led in the center of the gauges lights for a couple seconds, and then goes off.

Thoughts?
That is the alarm light. Normal operation.

Good detective work. This is a new one for the books.
J1962 is the interior ODBII port. NGC (Next Generation Controller) = PCM Powertrain Control Module. TCM = Transmission Control Module(Only valid in 4.0 and 2.8CRD with the NAG1 transmission.) In the 3.7 / 42RLE trany the PCM is the TCM.
I believe the issue originates from relay K4= Start/Run. It powers the M28 fuse. Which in turn is controlled by the ignition switch via the PCM.

Keep us posted on how things go...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the K4 relay powers the M28 fuse, the dash should have shut off when I pulled all the relays. I pulled every relay, and left in just the fuses, but the ignition stayed on. I don't have access to a schematic, and not sure if what I find on the web is actually what we have in the vehicle. It definitely would be easier with a schematic. We have more detective work to do to locate all the modules and get familiar with this vehicle.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,546 Posts
Hum. I had another look at my manuals. Found conflicting info in the 3 I have. One says M28 another one says M33 the third one does not have a label for the fuse, it simply says fuse 47.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,546 Posts
Having maybe the same issue...do I replace k4?
Welcome to the forum @Keys. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".

Won't hurt to try. If that is not it you will have a spare...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum toolman111.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".

I was thinking the same thing as Nitrogen when I read the title.
If you have an OEM remote start, try pressing the hazard light switch. This should kill the remote start functions.
If not, then maybe a bad key lock cylinder.
Or it could be a bad relay. K1, K2, K10, and possibly K4.
Hi I am having these same issues with my Nitro.i have pulled every fuse and relay and tried the M28 like you had said.Whenever I restarted it I can't turn off the engine without pulling that 1relay.Is there a module somewhere I can try unhooking or testing to see if it may need to be replaced.Also my vehicle was in a accident and the moon roof was left open and allowed rain to get in on the steering column.Im not sure if any of that was affected or not.Also when I tried to drive it after it 1st would not shit off it wouldn't shift out of 2and for some reason.Before the accident the power windows would just go down on there on and on a couple different occasions my inside lights were flashing like someone was turning the key off and on.id disconnect the battery terminal and that fixed it prior to the no shut off I'm now dealing with.I have very limited resources on what I can test basically process of emulation is my only means I have.Please help me get the solved if possible.Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the K4 relay powers the M28 fuse, the dash should have shut off when I
pulled all the relays. I pulled every relay, and left in just the fuses, but the ignition stayed on. I don't have access to a schematic, and not sure if what I find on the web is actually what we have in the vehicle. It definitely would be easier with a schematic. We have more detective work to do to locate all the modules and get familiar with this vehicle.
Hi I am.
do you have Remote Start .
No

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,546 Posts
Hi I am having these same issues with my Nitro.i have pulled every fuse and relay and tried the M28 like you had said.Whenever I restarted it I can't turn off the engine without pulling that 1relay.Is there a module somewhere I can try unhooking or testing to see if it may need to be replaced.Also my vehicle was in a accident and the moon roof was left open and allowed rain to get in on the steering column.Im not sure if any of that was affected or not.Also when I tried to drive it after it 1st would not shit off it wouldn't shift out of 2and for some reason.Before the accident the power windows would just go down on there on and on a couple different occasions my inside lights were flashing like someone was turning the key off and on.id disconnect the battery terminal and that fixed it prior to the no shut off I'm now dealing with.I have very limited resources on what I can test basically process of emulation is my only means I have.Please help me get the solved if possible.Thank you
Sounds like the relay is stuck. Did you replace it with a new one?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts