Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Nitro has been having this problem for around 10 months. But it’s very intermittent and unpredictable. Like the others, you pull the big relay out in the middle and it shuts down the engine. I think it’s related to the ignition area. The key turning off isn’t shutting down the circuit. There might be dust and dirt built up in there, not sure. If ignition replacement is too costly, I’ll put a toggle switch in to shut it down conveniently.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My car had same problem after pressure washing engine bay. Problem has to be in TIPM or wiring underneath it. When this happened I dried TIPM with compressed air and engine stopped.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,459 Posts
Next time is happens try pulling the ASD relay, or try replacing it.
My Nitro has been having this problem for around 10 months. But it’s very intermittent and unpredictable. Like the others, you pull the big relay out in the middle and it shuts down the engine. I think it’s related to the ignition area. The key turning off isn’t shutting down the circuit. There might be dust and dirt built up in there, not sure. If ignition replacement is too costly, I’ll put a toggle switch in to shut it down conveniently.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My car had same problem after pressure washing engine bay. Problem has to be in TIPM or wiring underneath it. When this happened I dried TIPM with compressed air and engine stopped.
Now that you mention, I do occasionally wash my engine down. Makes it easier to work on. Okay I’ll try the relay Scar suggested and check TIPM for dampness. Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think my problem is fixed. Checked the ASD Relay after reading you guys suggestions. Apparently the mechanic who installed the TIPM bent the middle pin backwards on the K9. Replaced it and hope that was causing the problem.

update - it’s not fixed. Will continue to investigate.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
K10= ASD (Auto Shut Down)

·
Registered
61 Posts
All relays verified good. Pulled to out position the IOD fuse at J13 for now. Car turns on and off no problem. I’ll just leave it disconnected for now.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Plugged the J13 back in because the power locks were disconnected. Unplugged the M10 fuse so now the car turns off normally and the power locks work, etc. I know it’s not a legitimate fix but it works for now.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
M10 that is really strange. It is mostly the radio stuff, and vanity lights, garage door opener.
Maybe an aftermarket radio installed causing problems?

·
Registered
61 Posts
There was an aftermarket radio installed 7 or 8 years ago but the problem didn’t start until a new TIPM was installed. I kind of just lucked into the M10 fuse by trying each IOD fuse one after another. The radio still works though. I routed the wiring into the ignition wiring. So the Nitro should be set for a while.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts