Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing this problem on rare occations on my '07, 3.7l Nitro. Now it is happening much more often. When the car is warmed up and then shut off for 10-15 minutes it will continue to crank over when the key is switched to the momentary start position and then released. I must shut the key off to get the starter to stop running. While it is spinning over I have tried stepping on the throttle to see if the engine was actually running but there is no response. Key must be turned off and tried again. Most times on the second try it will start, but I have had it do this up to five times before it actually will start. Dealer says it needs a new battery, but I think they are grasping at straws. I'll try the new battery and see what happens. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,201 Posts
Hello and welcome Ridgelink,
to the Nitro “Z” family!

Have you checked out this thread?
TIP Start Feature
And this one;
2007 Nitro Starter Staying Engaged
I'm looking forward to your future posts & Pics. We love Pics here!
We also like new Mod ideas.

Enjoy the forumZ.
Scar

BTW;
If you go to your personal-details and fill in the “Vehicle:” info about your rig, the easier it will be for us to answer questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions.

As you can see at the left of every post I make;
This is what I drive:
Vehicle: 07 Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
Trim: SXT
Color: Light Khaki Metallic

Reactions: Ridgelink

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been experiencing this problem on rare occations on my '07, 3.7l Nitro. Now it is happening much more often. When the car is warmed up and then shut off for 10-15 minutes it will continue to crank over when the key is switched to the momentary start position and then released. I must shut the key off to get the starter to stop running. While it is spinning over I have tried stepping on the throttle to see if the engine was actually running but there is no response. Key must be turned off and tried again. Most times on the second try it will start, but I have had it do this up to five times before it actually will start. Dealer says it needs a new battery, but I think they are grasping at straws. I'll try the new battery and see what happens. Has anyone else had this problem?
Installed a new battery. Still the same. I told the service people it wouldn't work. Should have bet them double or nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome Ridgelink,
to the Nitro “Z” family!

Have you checked out this thread?
TIP Start Feature
And this one;
2007 Nitro Starter Staying Engaged
I'm looking forward to your future posts & Pics. We love Pics here!
We also like new Mod ideas.

Enjoy the forumZ.
Scar

BTW;
If you go to your personal-details and fill in the “Vehicle:” info about your rig, the easier it will be for us to answer questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions.

As you can see at the left of every post I make;
This is what I drive:
Vehicle: 07 Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
Trim: SXT
Color: Light Khaki Metallic
Thanks for the reply Scar! I will start going through the list of possible fixes one at a time and see if any of them help. Will update each step.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
you could try: removing a spark plug to check there is a spark, this will rule out the ignition and electrical system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced PCV valve. No improvement. Have noticed though that it does not do it as much with the colder weather.
May be a sensor. I'll check the crank sensor next.
you could try: removing a spark plug to check there is a spark, this will rule out the ignition and electrical system.
Because it is so intermittent I may have to wait for warmer weather to try checking for spark. Or maybe I will try connecting a timing light to it(keeping the light inside the car) and check it every time. That way I'll be ready when it happens.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,201 Posts
I think we have 4 running threads on this now. I'm at an end with suggestions. Wish someone would discover the magic bullet to kill this problem.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
This is with regards to ScarO's comments above, a member thinks he has a solution for this: ( don't crank the engine ) turn the ignition key to the 2nd position ( to engage the fuel pump), after a few second turn off, repeat this 3 times, then crank the engine, if your engine starts then he says the fuel pump is faulty, he had is fuel pump replaced and has not had the No Start problem since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has not missed a beat since my last post last Jan./16. I thought it had miraculously fixed itself. But in the last few weeks it has started doing it regularly again. Will start with Nitrogens suggestion above and go from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also came across the fuel pump replacement idea to solve this issue! I've got mine coming in the mail...please let me know if that solves ur issue! Next I've gotta do the wiper recall!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts