Dodge Nitro Forum banner

08 R/T 4.0 died

3K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  teahead 
#1 ·
Hi guys, so about a month ago I was driving down the road and out of no where my baby girl just dies.
This is how the day started; got up started the nitro went to town drove around got gas headed home. Hit the road at 50 mph went around a corner and she all of sudden acted like she was starving for fuel, and died. I turned everything off listened to for the fuel pump heard it and tried to start her and all she did was crank. A couple times it sounded like she was trying to back fire. But still nothing. Herr we are a month later and still nothing. I replaced the crank shift sensor she acted like she was going to run but didn't. Testing the fuel rail i have power, oddly enough when testing one of the coil packs I have spark and then nothing. Still nothing. I sent her to a shop and they said timing belt but it's not turning over rapidly and it was just replaced when I had the head gasket replaced. There is was no knocking sometimes a rough idle but no codes other then P0420 and P0405. I am at a total loss right now as no one can seem to think of what it could be. Any ideas on this. here is what she sounds like. 20220307_170433.mp4

#8 ·
Have you tried starting with gas pedal to the floor? Mine did something similar a few months back, driving and then stalled out of no where. EGR valve was bad. Stuck open so at low RPM the engine would choke itself out, hold the pedal to the floor and the throttle/fuel intake overcome the exhaust from the EGR and it would start. Dies as soon as you take your foot off. Simple fix, honestly, if that's what the problem is.

#9 ·
So here is everything that we have found. And still won't start. As I d9ntbknow what is causing it.
The computer has signal.
There is no spark
No signal to injectors
Crank sensor is got full power
Cam sensor is a little funny
We though well maybe the fuel rail so we pulled it and did starting fluid test still nothing.
I am at a complete loss of now.

#18 ·
I am wondering if the tipm isn't actually bad. I'm going to the shop tomorrow to see if they tried to do a 12v jump to the asd (m19 fuse) it runs the power to the coils the pcm and the injectors. If there is no power to them at its going to do is turn over like it is. At least that is what it saying everywhere I look.

#19 ·
Here is what the mechanic wrote tonight.
"I'm sure I checked the powers to that circuit and was working under crank. I will run through these tests again. Problem I was having was no trigger to injectors and coils from pcm. The asd relay controls power to these parts. Sounds like tipm controls power to the relay?"

#20 ·
Well the post seemed to go silent.
We are still working the nitro. We have no trigger to the coils or injectors from the pcm.
So not sure if that's going to be a tipm or pcm problem. Either way they are cheap fixes.
Question is my part number for the tipm is the same as the liberty 3.7l. I have exhausted every manual I can find and all of them say the 4.0l and 3.7l tipm are the same part.
I can't get my hands on a tipm for a 4.0 but I was able to find one for the liberty 3.7 with the same part number.
Will that work?

#28 ·
Put the original TIPM module back in. There is no telling if the used one is any good or not or even how long it sat on a shelf. The unit can be bad and still test good.

Make sure the mechanic is using a new Mopar camshaft sensor. I had the exact same problem you did and it was a bad camshaft sensor. It would run ok, then rough, then turn over but no start.... A failing sensor starts acting up as it warms up and causes issues until it completely fails. A bad sensor will also not send signal to allow spark from the coils. A completely failed sensor will not allow it to start even for a second as there is no spark for combustion.

A compression check is good to guage the overall condition of the engine itself, but I can tell you even with low compression in 3 cylinders it would start and just run like crap.

It sounds like this mechanic is just guessing or is overwhelmed with work and just throwing parts at it..... Put a brand new Mopar camshaft and crankshaft sensor into it. Check the connectors for broken wires/contamination. Also put the original TIPM back in and I bet it starts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.