Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about purchasing a Nitro. Have test driven , picked my color , and have sorted out the options. Concerned about fuel mileage , many owners have stated mileage ranging from 16 to 23 mpg city and highway but never state if Nitro is equiped with 2 wheel or four wheel drive. For some reason 4 wheel drive anything will get less fuel economy. Would purchase Nitro in 4 wheel drive so any resposes are appreciated

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If you live where you could need it the p/t 4wd is great to have mpg will suffer, but when you don't need it the 2wd gets good mpg for the size, weight & comfort of the NITRO.Go for it be happy, enjoy life as part of the NITRO family.:wave:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
18 - 20 mpg in 2wd on rural roads & highways. It goes up on the freeway, to maybe 21 or 22 mpg. I've never kept track in 4wd.
Thank you Might have worded that question I wrote differently... Just was curious about mileage of a nitros gas mileage in 2 wheel drive. Most everybody drives in 2 wheel drive on the highway , but Nitros come in 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive models. Also new at this.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Our 4WD R/T is getting about 18 MPG average, and when I reset to watch only highway mileage I see about 23 MPG. We're at about 3600 miles on the odometer.

I've owned quite a few trucks with both 2WD and 4WD, some of which were very similar (e.g. a 98 4WD Durango with a 318 and a 98 2WD Dakota with a 318) and there really isn't much mileage difference between 2WD and 4WD vehicles.

When you're in 2WD, the only extra work the engine is doing is spinning a chain and the rear-end drive gear in the transfer case. You probably create a heavier workload for the engine by driving with the windows rolled down.

However, I would expect to see some difference between 2WD and AWD as those are very different drivetrains.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my milage

I've had mine for 13 days. 4wd SXT now at 1400 miles. I'm averaging 17mpg over the total milage. I drive in the city mostly, but 700 of the miles were put on during a trip to seattle. That trips higway milage was over 21mpg. It looks great to me. I switched from a smaller SVU (GMC Jimmy) and the MPG is actually better! With so little milage on the vehicle, the engine isn't really broken in yet. The MPG should only get better.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
To be honest with you 10sleep, you don't need the 4WD. I got it because the wife had never driven rear wheel drive before but the ESP that comes with the Nitro is so good that 4WD really isn't necessary for every day use. If you intend to go off road a lot then yes, if not forget about it.
The money you save for not getting the 4X4 you can use on the MyGig..
As for mpg's, there are lots of threads here that discuss that issue, personally I get approx 17~18 city and 25~26 highway. No complaints here...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Gas Mileage - 2WD vs. 4WD

For some reason 4 wheel drive anything will get less fuel economy. Would purchase Nitro in 4 wheel drive so any resposes are appreciated
A 4-wheel-drive Nitro would only get lower gas mileage than an otherwise identical 2-wheel-drive Nitro if it were IN 4-wheel-drive; and if it were in 4-wheel-drive, the road conditions would probably support the concept that a small decrease in fuel economy for the added traction and safety of 4-wheel-drive is a good trade-off.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Seems like the 4wd on demand feature would far outweigh any decrease in economy. As long as your in 2wd drive, the additional drivetrain itself isn't hurting the economy, only the additional weight of the front diff & transfer case.

A few days ago I used 4wd on a beautiful, warm sunny day. I was backing a boat up hill on a dirt road. I could have probably gased it up the hill faster & made it. Or just put it in 4wd drive & push it up hill without kicking up a ton of dust or jackknifing the trailer from going too fast.

·
Nitro Addict!
538 Posts
Thinking about purchasing a Nitro. Have test driven , picked my color , and have sorted out the options. Concerned about fuel mileage , many owners have stated mileage ranging from 16 to 23 mpg city and highway but never state if Nitro is equiped with 2 wheel or four wheel drive. For some reason 4 wheel drive anything will get less fuel economy. Would purchase Nitro in 4 wheel drive so any resposes are appreciated
If you ever drive in the snow, get the 4wheel drive model. I have a 4wd R/T and usually get 18 to 22 mpg for combined city and highway driving. The 5 speed automatic transmission helps the Nitro get better mileage than the 4 speed, in my opinion.

When reading through the many threads regarding gas mileage on these forums, check the upper right corner for the posting members info, which will often tell you if they have a 2wd or 4wd Nitro (I think).

·
Registered
7 Posts
4wd SLT milage

I have set up an excell spreadsheet to track maintnance and milage on my Nitro. So far after 6100 miles i am averaging 17.6 mpg. I drive both freeway and stop and go city driving. sometimes i tow a trailer for work. So low milage towing has been arroung 14mpg, and road trip freeway millage has been 21 to 22mpg. Mine's a 4wd SLT.

·
Registered
74 Posts
... i am averaging 17.6 mpg. I drive both freeway and stop and go city driving. sometimes i tow a trailer for work. So low milage towing has been arroung 14mpg, and road trip freeway millage has been 21 to 22mpg. Mine's a 4wd SLT.
That's very similar to my mileage, I was surprised how low my mpgs were when I was in 4x4 in the slushy white stuff, 14mpg stinks. Have you reset your mileage guage for trips or let it accrue from the start?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.