2007 Dash Lights

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro General Discussion' started by Garret, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Garret

Garret New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 nitro
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    Hey guys, I have a 2007 nitro 3.7l that I've had for almost a year and I'm having problems with dash lights coming on. So I bought it with the check engine light on for a gas cap issue and replaced the cap and reset the computer but it didn't work. also my air bag light comes on and off and now my ESP/bas light and traction control light come on when we start the vehicle and they stay on. Anyone else have any of these 3 issues that could help me figure them out?

2. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Welcome to the forum Garret. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
    Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
    That way we can welcome you all proper like.

1. Try putting a little Vaseline on the "O" ring on the cap.
    Make sure there are no burs/dents on the top of the filler neck.
    Check the EVAP purge solenoid and related hoses. (under hood right next to the battery)

2. Which air bag light? Airbag off, or just a red airbag light?

3. Check the wires and sensors behind each wheel. This is usually caused by a wheel speed sensor issue. There have been a couple members here with shorted out wires in the rear harnesses. But most have found a broken wire at the sensor, and / or a sensor that got chewed up in the hub.

3. Garret

Garret New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 nitro
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    Hi, Thank you for the reply and all your help. It is the red airbag light and it constantly flickers on and off while driving with that annoying beep.
    I'll have to check out all what you said about the gas cap because we can't pass emissions out here in Arizona with the engine light on.
    The wheel sensors you're talking about, is that the sensor that is connected to the caliper?

4. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    The airbag light can be a tough one to trouble shoot. It may be worth the $ to get a dealer diag on that. If you can get a code it would help. Most auto parts stores will check for codes for free. But I am not sure they will be able to pull up the airbag code.

See this thread it may help. https://www.nitroforumz.com/threads/small-evap-leak-found-and-repaired.44657/

More or less yes. The wires for the sensors in the front go behind the dust shield of the rotor. In the rear they go into the dust shield from the inside(under the rig). The wires should be inside a black corrugated wire cover.

5. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Also check fuses J6, J7 they are your ABS fuses. If they are popped your ABS/BAS/ESP lights will come on.

6. Garret

Garret New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 nitro
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    Okay so I checked the fuses and they are both good, and I also checked all the connectors to the wheel sensors and I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I'm not sure what to look for on the connectors or should I just take it I to O'Reilly to see if they can scan abs code.

I'm giving up on the airbag sensor because I'm thinking it's the clock spring and I don't want to mess with that.

I put vasolene on the o-ring for the gas cap and the engine light is still on. I also located the purge valve and followed the EVAP lines and found no cracks. I saw something about a vapor leak pump on the nitros that seem to fail and cause this code. But I cant seem to find that part for my nitro so I dont know if the 2007s are equipped with these.

7. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    See this thread, lots of good info on the canister and Evaporative System Integrity Module by the fuel tank with Pics. post 12.
    There have been a couple members with a bad Evaporative System Integrity Module. To fix it most have gotten the entire Canister assembly, because getting the ESIM out can be problematic.
    It takes 3 good drive cycles to clear the gas cap code. 1 fault, to trip it.

8. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    If you can get codes it would help a lot.