Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello so the girlfriend bought a 2007 dodge nitro. It is a standard with only about 120000km on it and the parking brake doesn’t seem to grab well when it is parked on a hill. I have did some google searches and went underneath and looked and couldn’t find any where to adjust it. So from my searching it seems like they are not adjustable and it’s usually the cable that gets stretched bad and needs the spring wound one more time. I have also read that you can adjust the brake pads if you go in reverse and pull up on the parking brake handle a few times which is supposed to adjust the pads but I am not sure if this works if it has disk brakes all around? Any information would be awesome

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Hi they are adjustable . A real pain in the butt. Access is behind the callipers.

I take off wheels remove calliprs and ŕest them on some blocks. Put wheels back on and adjust the old fasion way. Then pur things bach on.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Elite151. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Hello so the girlfriend bought a 2007 dodge nitro. It is a standard with only about 120000km on it and the parking brake doesn’t seem to grab well when it is parked on a hill. I have did some google searches and went underneath and looked and couldn’t find any where to adjust it. So from my searching it seems like they are not adjustable and it’s usually the cable that gets stretched bad and needs the spring wound one more time. I have also read that you can adjust the brake pads if you go in reverse and pull up on the parking brake handle a few times which is supposed to adjust the pads but I am not sure if this works if it has disk brakes all around? Any information would be awesome
The service brakes are disk, the parking brakes are shoes inside the "Hat" of the rear disk.
Check out our knowledge base section. Good how-to for the brakes as well as a fix for the spring tension prob with the parking brake.
BUT; is your girlfriend 's Nitro a manual trany? If so, there is a recall for this issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello so it is usually just the pads that need adjusting? Or is the spring tension on the handle? And yes it is a standard transmission

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,722 Posts
Hello so it is usually just the pads that need adjusting? Or is the spring tension on the handle? And yes it is a standard transmission
Manual trany is great! Recall work is always free. Contact your local dealer and they will replace the park brake handle assembly.
See Safety Recall H28 Park Brake Lever
I had the recall done to mine and it was good for about 2 years.
Then I did the Mod to it and it has been great since.

Before doing any work on the Nitro, disconnect the Neg (-) battery cable, isolate It, and wait 10 minutes!
This will allow time for the airbag capacitors to discharge.
You don't want to have your airbags go off accidentally.
It has already happened to a few members here...
The main airbag controller is right under the parking brake handle!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply and the recall notice. I called today and the dealership said the recall was already done back in 2009. So would it be best to just adjust the brakes or what’s the best option to fix this?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,722 Posts
There is a star wheel adjustment behind the rear drum, behind a rubber plug. It is a pain to get to. But I would try that first, just make sure you do not over adjust them. Best to jack it up and spin the wheel while adjusting listen for rub, then back it off a little.
If that does not do it, see the Mod link I posted. Do this at your own risk!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts