Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Nitro SLT 3.7L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Dodge Nitro does not seem to hold a charge. The alternator was replaced a year ago. I just purchased a brand new battery.
It will work fine for three or four days and then all of a sudden it won’t start. The alternator tests fine, it’s putting out 14.6 V DC The battery, and alternator both test good. it seems like something is randomly draining the battery. Anybody else have any issues like this?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,459 Posts
Are your doors unlocking on their own again?

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are your doors unlocking on their own again?
They were doing that about a month ago. We replaced the battery since then, thinking it was a bad battery. It doesn’t seem to be locking and unlocking the doors automatically anymore. Somehow I am losing the charge on the battery. I’ve checked all the lights, nothing seems to be coming on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
you would be wise to look for what is drawing the power, look up parasitic battery braw test to see how it is done, but this is the basics. you will need a fully charged battery and a multimeter for the test and set for DC 10 to 20 amps ( make sure it's not milliamps ) first the key needs to be off, doors shut, hood open and fuse box at the ready. disconnect the negative cable and hold 1 of the multimeter lead to the cable and the other to the negative battery post, the number that shows is the Nitro's resting draw, any draw that is a whole number like 1.1 is bad. let's say it states 2.5 start pulling fuses and replace them as you go, when you see the number drop to ( just an example ) 0.05 you have found where the draw is, fixing it is a different story and one others might be able to help with.
note, do not do thing that uses power like open the door with the multimeter connected in amp mode it could damage it.
hope that helps you find the problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you would be wise to look for what is drawing the power, look up parasitic battery braw test to see how it is done, but this is the basics. you will need a fully charged battery and a multimeter for the test and set for DC 10 to 20 amps ( make sure it's not milliamps ) first the key needs to be off, doors shut, hood open and fuse box at the ready. disconnect the negative cable and hold 1 of the multimeter lead to the cable and the other to the negative battery post, the number that shows is the Nitro's resting draw, any draw that is a whole number like 1.1 is bad. let's say it states 2.5 start pulling fuses and replace them as you go, when you see the number drop to ( just an example ) 0.05 you have found where the draw is, fixing it is a different story and one others might be able to help with.
note, do not do thing that uses power like open the door with the multimeter connected in amp mode it could damage it.
hope that helps you find the problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I checked my amp draw on my battery and it was 2.3 mA, very high. when I was checking the DC voltage I could watch the battery drain 1/10 of a volt every second. Began removing fuses, after pulling fuse (J9) “J9 PZEV MOT/Flex Fuel” The current dropped, and the battery stopped draining. I need to find out what this is for. Obviously it’s for Flex fuel I don’t know what else it is for. The car runs without the fuse in it. The battery seems to be holding a charge now. My guess is there is a relay that is stuck on. I need to do a little more research unless somebody knows what this fuse is for and can post it.
Hope this helps others.
Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would go to a dealership and ask the mechanic questions ( it is free to talk ) and see if they can look up the J9 fuse and what it connects to and see if your causing more harm if removed. while there also check your for recalls that may need to be done as they are free from the dealership and not a wasted trip, my neighbor works at a Chevy dealership and I just messaged to see if he can ask around about that fuse and what it connects to, but I can't promise he can but never hurts to ask.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts