Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Dodge nitro SLT. Guess what? It wont start. We have replaced the battery and the starter. We got it to start one time after the replacements. We did this by taking the negative of the battery then the positive then waiting 10 minutes. and replacing the positive then the negative like another forum had said. It started that one time and we went back out to start it again and it will not start. It cranks over one time and then tries to crank again but no luck. Please please help me here. I am a visiting nurse and I need my nitro to drive for a living.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,883 Posts
Welcome to the forum kellybobwa. :wave:
Sorry it is under these circumstances.

Do your doors open with the key fob button?
Does it not start with both keys?

It may be related to this TSB.
TSB 08-007-08 (& Rev A) No Start or No Engine Crank Due to Electronic Lockup of WCM/SKREEM

You can also try this temp fix; (need 2 people): Unhook the negative cable from your battery (black), then have the other person turn the key in the ignition at the same time as you reconnect the cable to your battery. This resets the security computer and all is well. You will need to reset the clock on your radio.

When you have a chance head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,883 Posts
Why did you replace the battery and starter? Were they tested as being bad?
How long has it not been starting?
The one time it started, did you drive it, or just let it run a little and shut it off?

When you said "It cranks over one time and then tries to crank again but no luck."
What do you mean by "tries"? Can you hear a clicking sound, grinding noise?
Was the new battery fully charged when it was installed?
Can you jump start it with another rig?

If the computer lost the programming for your key(like in the TSB I mentioned) you could turn the key, the lights on the dash will light up, but you would get no sound when trying to start it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the battery tested dead. the starter started to smoke but tested possibly ok. The car hasent started since last wednesday except for one time on sunday. The engine makes a a sound like it tries to start (like a roar then silence then a smaller roar then a click then nothing) We have tried jumping it. and the battery is fully charged everything (radio, lights, headlights) work. A few people have mentioned a neutral safety switch, but I am not wanting to put more money in it if i am not sure. This truck only has about 75k an I still owe 2 years payments.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,883 Posts
So let me get this straight.
The engine turns over, but will not start?
Or the engine turns over and fires, but will not stay running?
Or the engine does not turn over at all?

As for the neutral switch...
Apply the hand brake. Then put the key in, turn it to the "on" position (do not try to start it), then apply the brakes with your foot. Can you shift the transmission into neutral? If so, will it start in neutral. Your foot has to be on the brake.

If you can not get it into neutral as above, Go here, select your year and "Nitro", click the "Download" button to download the owners manual. Page 248 will tell you how to override.

This may be a silly question, but I have to ask.
Are you out of gas?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I could be wrong here, but it sounds like an immobiliser fault to me, its just a shame you dont have a spare key to try, i think it could either be the chip in the key, or maybe the pickup.
I have had cars into the workshop with the very same symptoms and most of the time the spare key sorts out the problem.
just a thought :thk:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok here is the latest i tried putting in neutral like you said it went into neutral just fine. it still didnt start it turns over but does not start. Key fob still works to get into the truck. and not really a silly question i know of many people that think there is a major problem and they just forgot gas, but there is a half of a tank of gas and the oil and all other fluids are fine.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,883 Posts
Scott, That was my first thought as well.

To verify this you could try removing the IOD fuse, as described in the TSB.
4. If the no crank / no start condition is present, and the WCM is “off bus”, then reset the WCM by temporarily removing the IOD (J13) fuse (with the key out of the ignition switch), wait for 10 seconds and then reinstall the IOD fuse.
5. With the IOD fuse reset having been performed, verify that the vehicle will now crank, start, and run.
6. If the condition is temporarily corrected by performing the above steps, and if the part number of the WCM is earlier than the part number of the WCM listed in the part reference table in the Service Bulletin Parts Required Section below, then perform the Repair Procedure.​

A Neg(-) battery disconnect will do the same thing.
Also touch the key to a metal part inside the Nitro, this will ground out any static electricity, before inserting it in the ignition.​

If your key is on a ring with another programmed key on it, remove it from the key ring. I have heard of other keys and security cards causing interference.​

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
If I understand the problem correctly, it will initially start, quit, then fail to start on a second try. If this is the case, you can try this also. Walk completely around the truck three times constantly locking and unlocking the doors with your key. Somehow, this act can reset the transmitter when the truck does not recognize the key, in order to start.
My Jeep Commander did this, and I had to have it towed into the dealer. The service adviser did this before he wrote a service ticket, and after his third walk around, he got in and it immediately started! Since it was still under warranty, he went ahead an ordered a new transmitter. If all else fails, it's worth a try.

:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
with reading all this the only thing is it says the keyless entry will not work. my keyless entry is working just fine no issues I will try the removal of the fuse tomorrow when there is light an other thoughts to what could be wrong?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,883 Posts
It could be the crank shaft position sensor. This was a very common issue in the early Cherokees.

·
Registered
2 Posts
read the info posted, how did things turn out. I currently own a 2007 nitro and the same thing is going on. It left me in town and I had it towed to a garage and it started right up for them. I returned home and once again it will not start.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,883 Posts
2007Nitro
There should be a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) set in the computer for a ETC error.
This will help us know where to start looking.
But even with the DTC, your issue will more than likely require a visit to a dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Dodge Nitro won't start

So today, for the second time in about a year, mine wouldn't start. All lights went on, radio worked, just wouldn't start. Apparently there is something going on that is supposed to be some sort of anti theft thing. If the negative is taken off the battery first, then the positive, and they're held together for a couple minutes then hooked back up positive first, it seems to reset itself and then works. My mechanic just stumbled on this fix in his frustration at not being able to figure out why it wouldn't start. My question is this. What can be done to stop this from happening every six months or so????

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,883 Posts
Welcome to the forum Big Boi.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.

My wife's 09 is doing simular things. Any tsbs for the 09s?
What are your symptoms? More detailed you can be the better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have replaced my battery, replaced starter, and tried to jump it and still does nothing but gives one little click from the starter but all the lights work and radio works. I need some help.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,883 Posts
I have replaced my battery, replaced starter, and tried to jump it and still does nothing but gives one little click from the starter but all the lights work and radio works. I need some help.
Welcome to the forum kirkbeast49.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.

Check your relays. See this thread for locations and descriptions.
Fuses & Relays

1 - 20 of 41 Posts