Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so 2007 nitro. no issues at all except no heat blowing on drivers side. I disconnect the heater core hoses to flush them.with garden hose. reconnect and run vehicle. doesn't blow hot air on drivers idea again. with car still.hot I disconnect heater core hoses and hot coolant pours out onto back right side of engine and near wires for that cylinder plug and some steam is produced . run water again into both sides of heater core lines, more steam eventually steam goes away.
Reconnect heater core hosestrength turn on ignition and awesome heat is blowing out now.
Got in car and it was driving sluggish almost like flat tires. no CEL. drove about 4 miles and CEL came on and blinks.
Ran on board key switch codes got P0306 I think that's an issue with #6 cylinder.
I have disconnected the negative side. and it hasn't cleared the code.
I feel that coolant and steam have to be the cause especially if the wiring it dumped in is #6 cylinder. what coukd this be and is there a way to clear it? can I drive to mechanic or tow it?

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Well Lance, there is one thing you must never doto an Engine, and that is to remove the coolant hoses whilst engine is HOT. and you must never pour cold water into a Hot Engine.
my fingers are Crossed that you have not caused any damage to the Engine Block or Cylinder Head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. I know that. the cold water didn't go into the coolant system. the cold water went into.the heater core behind the firewall. when I disconnected the hoses to the heater core there was no "spewing" of coolant or anything like that. the hoses for the core are higher than the engine block and radiator. the only water that came in contact with the "engine" per se was the water that was being cycled through the heater core and when it exited the core it comes out on top of the engine.
It's most likely steam or water in the wiring somewhere. I'm just going to leave it disconnected and allow to.dry out a bit.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Well things are sounding better. you could give everything a blow with compressed air if you have it available.
maybe you have water around the plugs and leads ??.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,538 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lance.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

You may have to pull the coil pack and dry out the plug and wires.
Keep us posted on how things go...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are looking from the front bumper ato the compartment is the coil pack on top.left side or under the two.hoses from the heater core wall extrusion? if that plug connection and cylinder is number 6 then it is possible that it's water related.

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,584 Posts
If you have the 3.7 engine, then each plug has its own coil.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,538 Posts
If you have the 3.7 engine, then each plug has its own coil.
True, since it is an early 3.7. In the later years they went with 3 coil packs and 3 wires jumping over to the other 3 cylinders. I think it was either 09 or 2010 they changed.

The 3.7 cylinders are numbered from front to rear with the left bank being numbered 1, 3, and 5 and the right bank being numbered 2, 4, and 6. The firing order is 1-6-5-4-3-2. The left bank is on the drivers side(US Nitro).

Reactions: Metaldog

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True, since it is an early 3.7. In the later years they went with 3 coil packs and 3 wires jumping over to the other 3 cylinders. I think it was either 09 or 2010 they changed.

The 3.7 cylinders are numbered from front to rear with the left bank being numbered 1, 3, and 5 and the right bank being numbered 2, 4, and 6. The firing order is 1-6-5-4-3-2. The left bank is on the drivers side(US Nitro).

And the coil it is and we are replacing the plugs while we are at it

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,538 Posts
Keep us posted on how things go.
Remember DO NOT use platinum plugs in the 3.7!
Only use ZFR6F-11G Gaped @ 0.043” Changed every 30k.
I use NGK.

Now on the other hand, if you have a 4.0... You should use platinum plugs ZFR5LP-13G Gaped @ 0.050”

BTW;
If you could please go to your personal-details and fill in the “Vehicle:” info about your rig, then it will be easier for us to answer your questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions.

As you can see at the left of every post I make;
This is what I drive:
Vehicle: 07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L

1 - 12 of 12 Posts