Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have owned a 2007 Dodge Nitro SLT 4x4 since 2008, first my wife drove it (she gets the new cars and she took excellent care of it) then gave to my son for a while and now its back with me! 224,000 miles and it runs well. After all these years I just now am asking how I would know if it has a transmission cooler. I would like to use it four or five times a year to tow a light trailer (2,900 lbs dry) and wondering if that is a good idea. Thanks all

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
if the transmission is automatic then it has a cooler, for extra cooling ( tow package ) Dodge added a viscious fan to the engine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I appreciate you taking time to respond. I called a dealer and they used the VIN to confirm that it has an auxiliary transmission cooler that some on this site have mentioned. When I bought the vehicle it did not have a package and I am thinking of adding one. The tow capacity per the manual is based on having a cooler or not. Thanks again

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Not all but most auto trans have a cooler so the answer is yes based on having a trans cooler, But max towing capacity depends on vehicle having a tow package and the class type of hitch you have installed, the owners manual say the Nitro is capable of towing 2000lbs with a standard vehicle, anything above that they recommend some kind of tow package,
i have towed a few heavy things and everything was fine, except the fuel consumption, that went up by 50%

1 - 9 of 9 Posts