Dodge Nitro Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Great information Jan. That's the missing link for my transmission oil change (y)(y)
The best practice would be to have an intermediate connector, e.g. a modified banjo bolt to redirect the return flow to a canister.

·
Registered
133 Posts
No need, our NAGs have quick release straight unions
oops .. do not understand how this part look like. Any visual linformation available?

I read your document. This is the way Daimler drains the return oil by a simple "connector".

Membranophone Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Drum Bag

Thank you very much, Jan!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
forget what i said in post #15, i would definately try and clean the valve body, or if you find a cheap valve body replace it,

i found this on another dodge forum:

There is a known issue with a 3-4 shift flare or Neutraling out on the 3-4 shift. In most cases this event is accompanied by a P0730, P1731, P0734, and/or P0733 Incorrect Gear Ratio codes. The cause of this event is ferrous or Aluminum debris in the 3-4 Shift Pressure and/or 3-4 Holding valves. Rather than replacing the VB;
1.) Remove the solenoids, leadframe assembly, and bolts securing upper to lower valvebody
2.) Lift upper housing off the VB and turn over. No need to clean the lower housing.
3.) Remove the steel endplate covering the all the 3-4 valves.
4.) Remove the 4 valves and flush out the bores and valves with a solvent such as mineral spirits. Contamination is known to be very small. Hold the housing vertically and flush the bore out generously. Flushing over filter paper (coffee filter) will allow you to observe the debris.
5.) Re-assemble the VB and re-install to roadtest.
6.) Only if the valves are still sticky after the flush or if the 3-4 shift issue persists, should the VB be replaced.
LOP 21-95-01-51 provides 1.2 hours for this repair.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
don't like the large amount of iron filings on the magnet, normally indicaites something has worn down, if you can find a cheap valve body then i would give that a try, but i would imagine you can find a complete transmission for €500,
how many KM's on your Nitro ?,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
find a complete transmission for 500.00 euros ? not here in Italy ....
furthermore, finding a used valve body without a guarantee is very risky
so the question is always this, will I solve the problem by fitting a new valve body or will I have to replace the entire transmission in a few kilometers ?
Nitro:189.000 Km
thank you

Giacomo

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
in post #17 the guy there thinks you can fix the issue by cleaning the valves, i would maybe try that first,
i am guessing at 500€, don't really know the price,

·
Registered
2007 CRD
340 Posts
Nobody can answer you. You may have luck by replacing only valve body.
Anyway, 722.6 transmissions in ebay.
+Tax, you can find them even cheaper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thank you Jan,
for 722.6 would you trust to buy that used gearbox ?
if after a few kilometers the problem recurs, what do you do ?
you spent 450.00 euros in vain .....

Giacomo

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
the transmission Jan found on ebay is probably as good as you will find,
it's a gamle we all take when buying second hand parts, if you want a gaurantee then it will cost maybe 1500€,

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
here is another cheap one, anything from the UK there is also import tax to pay about 25%,

·
Registered
2007 CRD
340 Posts
Yes, he can use Mercedes 722.6 transmission, as long as it's for 4wd. Rear part of transmision is different to mount adapter housing for transfer case. Or he can buy 2wd transmission and swap the housings, internally the are all identical.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thank you Jan and cbear,
it is true that in Italy these transmissions are quite falcimente between 600 / 1000.00 euros, but we always return to the usual doubt, would you trust me ?
what if it doesn't work afterwards ?
you have to do the work 2/3 times .....

Giacomo

21 - 40 of 40 Posts