Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nitro gear selector will let me put it in any gear but Drive 1 and Drive 2. Works fine in park reverse and drive. Anyone else have this problem and how did they fix it.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Rchobot36. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

More info needed.
What year, what engine, what transmission?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The year is listed in the head line of the post. 3.7 automatic. I'm starting to think no one else has run into this problem.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
It is not common.
Correct me if I am wrong(I have a manual trany) but the 1-2 positions are all the way to the rear in your rig?
Is this a new issue?
Check to see if something got inside the console and it stopping it from moving.
Disconnect the Neg(-) battery cable and wait ten minutes.
The main airbag controller is under the center console!

Use a trim stick or your fingers and pop out/up the gear selector bezel and have a look inside. You will not be able to remove it because of the shift knob, but it should lift up enough to have a look.
It is just held in place with 4 metal clips at the corners. Be careful though, the front pockets are a little weak.
I had a dealer break one of mine off while they were working on my rig, and were nice enough to not say a word about it to me. :mad:
Clip locations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the one two are all the way down towards the driver. I bought it this way a few years back and just now getting around to fixing it. I had to fix a few other things first. I have already checked and nothing is blocking it from moving. I'm guessing since this isn't a common thing maybe the whole shift mechanism is broken. Not that I use the 1 or 2 so I might just leave it, I don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars to fix it since it doesn't effect the way it drives.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
To bad there was nothing stuck in there. That would have been an easy fix...
Have you looked at the trany side?

·
Registered
36 Posts
not sure on 08's but if you need to use 1 or 2 for a short time, just use the tow/haul button, it's function is keep it in a lower gear longer then to not allow transmission to go in the highest gear..
be cautious that the button does not stick or you will need to get it unstuck with Scar0's diagram above and the side tabs on the button are super delicate if they break it will shoot the button to the roof and it will take a while to find ( been there done that )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts