Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been dealing with this for about 6 months now and I am losing my mind. I have an intermittent starting issue that NO ONE can figure out so far (To include dealers and repair shops) and I am looking for any suggestions. Let me start by saying, my starter ALWAYS clicks, even when it doesn't start. What started out as a once in a while thing, has turned into an at least one a day thing. I will turn the key, the starter will click, and thats all that will happen. It may start on the 2nd click, the 4th click, or on a few occassions, it has taken me 50 times of turning the key for it to finally start. Heres what I have done so far. Battery tested good, but I bought a new one anyway, alternator tested good, bought a new one anyway, starter tested good, bought a new one, battery terminals, bought new ones, Starter relay, bought a new one. Nothing I have done so far has worked. It still will randomly just get a click from the starter and then finally start on the 2nd, 5th, or 10th try. I can't be the only person this has ever happened to. Help in finally solving this or atleast pointing me in another direction would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat, 4x4, 3.7L V6
55 Posts
Been dealing with this for about 6 months now and I am losing my mind. I have an intermittent starting issue that NO ONE can figure out so far (To include dealers and repair shops) and I am looking for any suggestions. Let me start by saying, my starter ALWAYS clicks, even when it doesn't start. What started out as a once in a while thing, has turned into an at least one a day thing. I will turn the key, the starter will click, and thats all that will happen. It may start on the 2nd click, the 4th click, or on a few occassions, it has taken me 50 times of turning the key for it to finally start. Heres what I have done so far. Battery tested good, but I bought a new one anyway, alternator tested good, bought a new one anyway, starter tested good, bought a new one, battery terminals, bought new ones, Starter relay, bought a new one. Nothing I have done so far has worked. It still will randomly just get a click from the starter and then finally start on the 2nd, 5th, or 10th try. I can't be the only person this has ever happened to. Help in finally solving this or atleast pointing me in another direction would be greatly appreciated.
The only thing that I can think of, would be that maybe your fuel injectors aren't expending enough fuel quick enough?

Maybe try running some injector cleaner through your system a few times?

I'm not guaranteeing that this will work because I would also expect your Nitro to be running rough, but honestly sometimes you never know.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,299 Posts
I had this same exact issue (2011 Nitro Heat 3.7L 42RLE 4spd Auto) replaced battery, starter, check fuses/relays, and tested alternator.

Come to find out, my Range Sensor was starting to go bad. It is similar to a Park Neutral Safety switch but is inside the transmission. Basically when I would go to start my Nitro the sensor was saying that I was in gear but was actually in Park.
Next time this happens and it does not start the first try, drop it down to Neutral and see if it starts right up. If so, i’m 99% positive it’s your Range sensor that is going bad.
I replaced mine when I removed the transmission to change my rear main seal. And i have not had a starting problem since then
Drain the fluid, pull the pan, drop the valve body, and it will either be attached to the valve body with the connector going through to the outside of the transmission or it is bolted to the inside of the transmission (idr exactly, it’s been a while since I replaced mine).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had this same exact issue (2011 Nitro Heat 3.7L 42RLE 4spd Auto) replaced battery, starter, check fuses/relays, and tested alternator.

Come to find out, my Range Sensor was starting to go bad. It is similar to a Park Neutral Safety switch but is inside the transmission. Basically when I would go to start my Nitro the sensor was saying that I was in gear but was actually in Park.
Next time this happens and it does not start the first try, drop it down to Neutral and see if it starts right up. If so, i’m 99% positive it’s your Range sensor that is going bad.
I replaced mine when I removed the transmission to change my rear main seal. And i have not had a starting problem since then
Drain the fluid, pull the pan, drop the valve body, and it will either be attached to the valve body with the connector going through to the outside of the transmission or it is bolted to the inside of the transmission (idr exactly, it’s been a while since I replaced mine).
The only thing that I can think of, would be that maybe your fuel injectors aren't expending enough fuel quick enough?

Maybe try running some injector cleaner through your system a few times?

I'm not guaranteeing that this will work because I would also expect your Nitro to be running rough, but honestly sometimes you never know.

Best of luck to you!
I generally run a cleaner on a regular basis. This really seems more electrical or computer related.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I don't want to get my hopes up too much.... but this morning I get in to go to work, turn the car over.... just a single click. Dropped it into neutral, started right up.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I don't want to get my hopes up too much.... but this morning I get in to go to work, turn the car over.... just a single click. Dropped it into neutral, started right up.
If that continues to work, more than likely your Range Sensor

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I generally run a cleaner on a regular basis. This really seems more electrical or computer related.
Same here. I use Royal Purple fuel treatment about once or twice a month.
But i was thinking the same since I had the same issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here. Wtf is going on. Surprised this never became a recall of some kind

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same here. Wtf is going on. Surprised this never became a recall of some kind
While I can't 100% Confirm that it is the Neutral Safety Switch because I haven't replaced it yet, But I can 100% confirm that it starts 100% of the time in Neutral once I get a 1 click no start in park. With that being said... The answer given above in this thread of it being a Neutral Safety Switch seems to be 100% accurate.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
While I can't 100% Confirm that it is the Neutral Safety Switch because I haven't replaced it yet, But I can 100% confirm that it starts 100% of the time in Neutral once I get a 1 click no start in park. With that being said... The answer given above in this thread of it being a Neutral Safety Switch seems to be 100% accurate.
Range Sensor?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I'm assuming Neutral safety switch...... When I attempt to Puchase "Range Sensor", it defaults to "Neutral Safety Switch".
I looked it up by both names. Come up with the same image mostly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts