Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so before I bought this a few years ago someone had replaced the ECM and on the third plug(white) managed to lose or break the cap on the connector and still somehow got the pins to line up and plug in correctly. After driving ok for a few years all sudden it started having all sorts of issues and then would not crank at all. I found the plug had worked loose and as it’s weight pulled it down since the plastic that covers and guides the pins was gone, ended up shorting several pins. I repaired the connector and it still would not turn over, was getting multiple error codes still. I purchased a replacement ECM and installed. It turns over now but will not start. Im getting U0101 code only(Cannot communicate with TCM). I have checked the CAN Bus and it seems ok. Grounds seem ok. However I have not checked wiring and grounds around the TCM. Anyone know where Dodge hid it at on the Nitros? On the 4.0 engines it is not integrated with the ECM like the
3.7’s are.

Also any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,538 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Thumpy69. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

My guess is most likely the new ECM is not VIN matched, so that is why it can't reach the TCM.
It is also possible the shorts that happened could have traveled to the TCM thru the CAN.
The U0101 code "possible causes" are first CAN shorts. Then TIPM related. (Programming, power and grounds.). Then bad TIPM, TCM, ECM.

·
Registered
261 Posts
TCM is near steering column,under instrument cluster. How did you check CANbus?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TCM is near steering column,under instrument cluster. How did you check CANbus?
I measured across pins 6 and 14 on the diag plug for voltage, disconnect the battery and should read 60 ohms across it. Also got 60 ohms on it at the TIPM and ECM. Those old telephone repairman clips come in handy for Measuring insulated wires.

Here is something similar if you are interested

I found the problem, when the plug on the ECM shorted it blew M37 fuse and the fuel pump relay. Everythings good to go now except one O2 sensor. After pouring through the wiring diagrams I found the TCM. But thanks for the information!
I found the problem, when the plug on the ECM shorted it blew M37 fuse and the fuel pump relay. Everythings good to go now except one O2 sensor. After pouring through the wiring diagrams I found the TCM. But thanks for the information!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,538 Posts
Did you break down the TIPM and replace the internal fuel pump relay?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts