Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys,

Got a few questions. I just picked up a nitro and am looking to bring it back to 100%.

1.Oil change on 3.7 whats the secret. The filter is in the dumbest spot.
2. It has 90,000 on it and i want to change transmission fluid. I see it says its good for life but do you think its a good call?
3. vibration on freeway. around 65-70 MPH there is a vibration in the wheel and you can hear it to maybe out of alignment/ balance or bad wheel bearing? Has anyone changed the bearings. Ive done them before on my 97 grand Cherokee and I'm assuming its just as easy.
4. TPMS the light comes on after driving maybe 30 or so miles then stopping. any ideas whats wrong?

Thanks guys,

Look forward to your responses.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Hi and Welcome
You mention the TPMS light coming on I presume you do not have the option of checking on the dash.
Left hand gauge bottom if you have the option you can toggle through the menu to see which wheel.
Could be bad connection at the wheels.
Or just that the battery in one of the sensors in the tires has given up.
Re Vibration you can rotate the tires to see if it is balance.
As for the oil filter everyone has different methods.
Myself with the front wheels on ramp or 6" blocks I can slide under on my back feet first.
Then with my right arm I can weave through and get at the filter.
If someone did not tighten the "H" out of it , it can be removed.
Almost impossible to do it this way without spilling oil. so be prepared. cover ground.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right i do not have the EVIC so i have no way of seeing the Culprit of the light. Ill have to rotate those tires then! Thanks for the response. Any recommendations for new owners?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Hello and welcome Mnkjoe,
to the Nitro “Z” family!
You came to the right place to learn Nitro.
Our Dodge Nitro Knowledge Base section has info for changing the engine oil as sell as one about the trany fluid change.
The Dodge Nitro Mechanical Problems and Questions has info on the hubs and several threads on the Trany fluid change.

I'm looking forward to your future posts & Pics. We love Pics here!
We also like new Mod ideas.

Enjoy the forumZ.
Scar

BTW;
If you go to your personal-details and fill in the Vehicle: info about your rig, the easier it will be for us to answer questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions.

As you can see at the left of every post I make;
This is what I drive:
Vehicle: 07 Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
Trim: SXT
Color: Light Khaki Metallic

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello and welcome Mnkjoe,
to the Nitro “Z” family!
You came to the right place to learn Nitro.
Our Dodge Nitro Knowledge Base section has info for changing the engine oil as sell as one about the trany fluid change.
The Dodge Nitro Mechanical Problems and Questions has info on the hubs and several threads on the Trany fluid change.

I'm looking forward to your future posts & Pics. We love Pics here!
We also like new Mod ideas.

Enjoy the forumZ.
Scar

BTW;
If you go to your personal-details and fill in the Vehicle: info about your rig, the easier it will be for us to answer questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions.

As you can see at the left of every post I make;
This is what I drive:
Vehicle: 07 Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
Trim: SXT
Color: Light Khaki Metallic

Ive already spent a bit of time looking at your Nitro! i love the roof rack its beautiful. My main concern right now is getting my hands on a manual which seems to be tricky!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
Ive already spent a bit of time looking at your Nitro! i love the roof rack its beautiful. My main concern right now is getting my hands on a manual which seems to be tricky!
Thank you.
Manual Cd's can be had on E-bay. But they are not really complete.
I have both the PFD E-bay Cd manual, as well as the full set of 4 dealer service manuals (e-bay also). Between the 2 I can pretty much do what needs to be done. With the exception of the Computer programming stuff, which requires a connection to Dodge (not free) and the starscan tool ($5000).

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Hi and welcome,
the service Schedule says: there is no need to change the tranny fluid, UNLESS the vehicle has had a hard life, then the auto tranny fluid and filter should be changed every 60,000 miles.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
Cool, Im looking on ebay for a CD but im not sure which one would be best. They all seem pretty chincy. Is there one thats better?
Not really. Most are just PDF files you copy to your computer. If the CD requires a browser, make sure it is compatible with the browser you are using.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
Can't. Its against forum rules, and the law, to distribute copyrighted materials without authorization. So any discussion regarding this on the forum will be deleted.
Plus, what I have, does require a key.
Really the cost is not that great for the CD...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't. Its against forum rules, and the law, to distribute copyrighted materials without authorization. So any discussion regarding this on the forum will be deleted.
Plus what I have does require a key.
Really the cost is not that great for the CD...
Thats what i assumed. i rebuild old motorcycles and have no issues finding PDF service manuals online for virtually any bike so i figured there may be an equivalent for the nitro. Personally i Prefer the hard-copy but i don't see myself buying 4 books for that so ill have to get the PDF and print it out!

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
be careful of what you buy, i bought a cheap pdf manual and there is so much missing, and there is nothing on the 2.8 CRD engine which is what i needed,

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
well i did look last year and didn't find anything from Haynes, but i was looking for the 2.8crd.
i do know ScarO wanted to sell his hard copy, maybe he's changed his mind or maybe you could grab a bargain, i would have it for sure if it covered the 2.8crd.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
The only ones I know of are E-bay CD, E-bay books or Dodge CD and books.
There is a set of 08 dealer service manuals on E-bay right now for $109.

Not selling my manuals! I use them too much...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only ones I know of are E-bay CD, E-bay books or Dodge CD and books.
There is a set of 08 dealer service manuals on E-bay right now for $109.

Not selling my manuals! I use them too much...

Finally got around to doing my plugs. I think it was the right choice. Next up, transmission fluid. Also i rotated the tires and it looks like my tires were out of round since the vibration i was experiencing stopped. So ill need some new tires soon! What do you think of the plugs? pretty gnarly?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts