Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Nitro R/T
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, 2009 Nitro R/T. Was overheating, so I changed the thermostat. Which of course means I had to take off the intake plenum. Which was a gigantic pain in the butt. I figured, as long as I was in there, I might as well change out the plugs and coil packs.
Did all that, and now I have a thing.
The thing is, is if the engine has been at operating temp for a little while...say an hour...if I hit the gas pedal any harder than Grandpa speed, I get one good hard miss. Like THUMP, miss. Then the CE light comes on (more on that later). Then it still runs fine, but if I'm at speed and slow down, then try to accelerate again even at a normal pace, the CE light will blink, sometimes the traction control light will come on, the cruise will stop working (won't turn on), and it starts running super rough, like too much air is in the fuel mix. This will last a day or a few minutes sometimes, then the next time I go start it, it's fine. No CE light, runs and drives great, I love my truck again.
Then it'll randomly get above 3K RPM and here we go again.

It's throwing all kinds of codes when the CE light comes on. Cylinder 3 Misfire, MAF Sensor Overvolt, MAF Sensor UNDERvolt (at the same time), PCV, Vacuum Leak, I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two. I'm out of town and away from my code reader ATM, so I can't tell you all of them.

SO! What the hecks did I do to my truck when I replaced the thermo and plugs/coils? More importantly, how do I fix this ghost problem? I'm about ready to burn some dingdang sage and sell the truck.
Thanks in advance, this community completely rocks.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat, 4x4, 3.7L V6
55 Posts
So, 2009 Nitro R/T. Was overheating, so I changed the thermostat. Which of course means I had to take off the intake plenum. Which was a gigantic pain in the butt. I figured, as long as I was in there, I might as well change out the plugs and coil packs.
The thing is, is if the engine has been at operating temp for a little while...say an hour...if I hit the gas pedal any harder than Grandpa speed, I get one good hard miss. Like THUMP, miss. Then the CE light comes on (more on that later). Then it still runs fine, but if I'm at speed and slow down, then try to accelerate again even at a normal pace, the CE light will blink, sometimes the traction control light will come on, the cruise will stop working (won't turn on), and it starts running super rough, like too much air is in the fuel mix. This will last a day or a few minutes sometimes, then the next time I go start it, it's fine. No CE light, runs and drives great, I love my truck again.

It's throwing all kinds of codes when the CE light comes on. Cylinder 3 Misfire, MAF Sensor Overvolt, MAF Sensor UNDERvolt (at the same time), PCV, Vacuum Leak, I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two. I'm out of town and away from my code reader ATM, so I can't tell you all of them.

SO! What the hecks did I do to my truck when I replaced the thermo and plugs/coils? More importantly, how do I fix this ghost problem? I'm about ready to burn some dingdang sage and sell the truck.
There's a lot to take in here, so let's try to individually break it down:

What kind of Spark Plugs did you use? Nitro's are very peculiar on this, most of us run NGK.

As for the Intake Plenum, you may want to double-check that it is properly tightened down and flush with all the surfaces it comes into contact with.

Also, just as a test, disconnect the air filter hose from the throttle body and have someone slowly rev at it different RPM's while you observe it and make sure that it properly moving and not getting stuck at any point. (Make sure there is no debris around that can get sucked into the throttle bottle while you are doing this.)

It may also be worth replacing the MAF Sensor if it is throwing so many codes.

Also doesn't hurt to blow out your air filter or replace it!

Best of luck to you, and let us know if you figure anything out!

·
Registered
2009 Nitro R/T
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a lot to take in here, so let's try to individually break it down:

What kind of Spark Plugs did you use? Nitro's are very peculiar on this, most of us run NGK.

As for the Intake Plenum, you may want to double-check that it is properly tightened down and flush with all the surfaces it comes into contact with.

Also, just as a test, disconnect the air filter hose from the throttle body and have someone slowly rev at it different RPM's while you observe it and make sure that it properly moving and not getting stuck at any point. (Make sure there is no debris around that can get sucked into the throttle bottle while you are doing this.)

It may also be worth replacing the MAF Sensor if it is throwing so many codes.

Also doesn't hurt to blow out your air filter or replace it!

Best of luck to you, and let us know if you figure anything out!
I was just poking around under the hood, and it looks like the very front intake plenum bolt is broken off!!!!
THat might be contributing to the issues.

As far as spark plugs, I used Champion. I cheaped out, guess since I have to take the plenum off AGAIN, I'll get better plugs.
I'll also try the throttle body stuff, see if that helps. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts

Have you changed the pluantum gaskets? Maybe an air leak. Spray air cleaner to find it. And check your injector seals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts