Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Hopefully someone will be able to help me out...my check engine light came on, so I went and had the computer tested, turns out I need to replace my ignition coils. I ordered the parts and now I just need a little help with the installation.

From what I understand there is a captive sleeve on the end of the bolt that is to come out with the bolt, I'm just wondering what tools I need to use. I dont want to have to bring it into the shop, and I really want to be able to do this on my own just to prove to myself that I can! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks yall!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Simple. Take the negative power cable off the battery. Use a 10 mm socket to remove the retaining bolt. Disconnect the electrical connection before remove a coil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They should be pretty straightforward Hannah. I believe it's just a 10mm bolt that holds them on. The part should look like the attached.
Thank you I was able to change them easily pretty straight forward stuff. But the kicker...this morning check engine light is back on and my car is shakier than before. I'm at a loss im about to drive my car off a bridge or take it in to the shop. I don't want to spend the money (I don't have it lol). But at this point theres not much more of an option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simple. Take the negative power cable off the battery. Use a 10 mm socket to remove the retaining bolt. Disconnect the electrical connection before remove a coil.
Thank you I was able to change them easily pretty straight forward stuff. But the kicker...this morning check engine light is back on and my car is shakier than before. I'm at a loss im about to drive my car off a bridge or take it in to the shop. I don't want to spend the money (I don't have it lol). But at this point theres not much more of an option.

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,560 Posts
Did you replace the pugs and wires, also? You may have a bad wire, or a bad spark plug.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you replace the pugs and wires, also? You may have a bad wire, or a bad spark plug.
I have replaced the plugs, coils, and the wires. I am starting to think that this may be a sensor issue. Also, this might sound ridiculous but could it be possible that i have a bad relay? Or a blown ETCS fuse?! I'm almost at my wits end here, but I dont give up easily so I will let you know what I find out when I am able to take my lunch break.

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,560 Posts
You may have a fuel delivery issue, such as a clogged or fowled fuel injector. It could also be an emissions issue. I would take it to an auto parts store and have them run an OBD scan on it to find out what codes the computer is showing (check engine light). This will give you a better idea of what is wrong, and help you troubleshoot the problem. Most auto parts stores will scan the computer (OBD) for free.

Reactions: KansasNitro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may have a fuel delivery issue, such as a clogged or fowled fuel injector. It could also be an emissions issue. I would take it to an auto parts store and have them run an OBD scan on it to find out what codes the computer is showing (check engine light). This will give you a better idea of what is wrong, and help you troubleshoot the problem. Most auto parts stores will scan the computer (OBD) for free.
I have taken it and all codes came back as misfires thats why i changed the plugs, coils, and ignition wires. Last ditch effort- go through each plug and see if one isnt off. They were supposed to be pregapped but could possibly be gapped wrong or not at all. Thank you so much for all of your input, it is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have taken it and all codes came back as misfires thats why i changed the plugs, coils, and ignition wires. Last ditch effort- go through each plug and see if one isnt off. They were supposed to be pregapped but could possibly be gapped wrong or not at all. Thank you so much for all of your input, it is greatly appreciated.
Yep! Always check the gap yourself! Are you unplugging your negative cable on the battery while you make these changes???? If not, that can absolutely throw off the module and cause erratic behavior.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts