Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help
I have a 2010 nitro
I've been having a lot of rear end issues with this vehicle. The first issue I had was when coming home from a 30 minute drive to town , when I got out it smelled like burnt rubber and the drivers side rear rim was so hot it burnt my fingers when I was trying to find where the smell was coming from. So my husband changed the break caliper thinking that might have been the problem if it was sticking,put everything back together tighten the lug nuts with his torquewrench. Then I started to hear a clunking and scraping noise from the rear when at a slow speed, and the scraping in the rear drivers side when turning to the right. My husband checked everything on the rear of the vehicle couldn't find any problems with anything being loose or broken. Now this issue was starting to affect the steering, it felt like I didn't have much control of the front end . Then on the day I was going to try to get it to our mechanic the rear driver side wheel came off when I was driving. All the lug nuts were gone, plus one of the studs were broken right off. After all this im kinda afraid to drive my nitro ...we got a new rim, stubs, lug nuts and parking brake for drivers side rear tire. Everything is put on and now it still makes a scraping noise from the drivers side rear tire at slow speed when turning to the right...my husband said it might be the parking brake or the thin metal shield may be bent and scraping....I'm not sure if I want to drive my vehicle not knowing if its safe or not...any thoughts or comments that might help figure this out would be very much appreciated.

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,624 Posts

Good to have you here. Enjoy the forum!
BTW... Post a pic of your Nitro when you can.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat, 4x4, 3.7L V6
39 Posts
Please help
I have a 2010 nitro
I've been having a lot of rear end issues with this vehicle. The first issue I had was when coming home from a 30 minute drive to town , when I got out it smelled like burnt rubber and the drivers side rear rim was so hot it burnt my fingers when I was trying to find where the smell was coming from. So my husband changed the break caliper thinking that might have been the problem if it was sticking,put everything back together tighten the lug nuts with his torquewrench. Then I started to hear a clunking and scraping noise from the rear when at a slow speed, and the scraping in the rear drivers side when turning to the right. My husband checked everything on the rear of the vehicle couldn't find any problems with anything being loose or broken. Now this issue was starting to affect the steering, it felt like I didn't have much control of the front end . Then on the day I was going to try to get it to our mechanic the rear driver side wheel came off when I was driving. All the lug nuts were gone, plus one of the studs were broken right off. After all this im kinda afraid to drive my nitro ...we got a new rim, stubs, lug nuts and parking brake for drivers side rear tire. Everything is put on and now it still makes a scraping noise from the drivers side rear tire at slow speed when turning to the right...my husband said it might be the parking brake or the thin metal shield may be bent and scraping....I'm not sure if I want to drive my vehicle not knowing if its safe or not...any thoughts or comments that might help figure this out would be very much appreciated.
I would check the brake dust shield that your husband was talking about, it could be slightly bent and rubbing. Also, check your Wheel well plastic liner\guard and see if any of it is broken off and looks like it could be rubbing on the tire (Me and a couple of buddies have had this issue on all types of cars, my Nitro included.).

Check all of your rubber bearings to see if any are worn or if any screws are loose in their brackets (there's a recent post by another member that had that issue.)

I wish you the best on your search for the solution! Keep us updated if you figure anything out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts