Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2011 Nitro Detonator 4.0 model. I recently took my car for AC service and came out with a Rocker Arm Assembly replacement quote because supposedly it is making a noise upon starting the engine. I was surprised as up to this point I wasn't hearing any engine noise, etc...

Anyways, when I went to pick the car, I talked to the mechanic and had him show me where the noise was coming from. While I did hear clocking sound mildly, I really hated the fact that I have to replace and make an unwanted expense. I had just taken my car to the dealer for an oil change like a month ago and all came perfectly as far as a diagnostic is concern. After checking all service logs, I realized (Long story short), the dealer has been using the wrong oil for my vehicle since the end of 2016.

They have been using 5w20 which is for the 3.7 engine nitro and also 5w30 which can be used on 4.0 engine during cold weather only. I live in Florida which is pretty much a tropical state. My 4.0 truck uses 10w30 as per owner's manual and oil cap itself.

Has anybody experienced this issue before? Y'all think the fact that a much thinner oil has been used can cause the Rocker Arm to malfunction eventually? Maybe Nitros have a history of rocker arm noise, etc.. Please help!

I went off on the dealership big time for the oil type issue and now they want to replace rocker arm free of charge, etc I just do not trust them anymore. They know for sure that I can easily open up a class action against them and we will all be millionaires by 2045. (lol)

Thoughts?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rocky2011. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Wow that is a BIG oops on the dealer. Does your engine oil filler cap say SAE 10W-30 on it? It should.
"Rocker arm"? As in 1?
I'd insist they replace all the rockers and lifters at the least. If not, also the CAMs.
Then ask them to extend the warranty for the engine to cover any future repairs cause by their oops.
That would require them to get FCA involved, and the dealer admitting to their mistake.

Lifter noise is common with the 3.7, not so much with the 4.0.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, thanks for your reply. Okay, will place intro in the newbie section.

SAE10w30 is displayed on both; the oil cap and manual. According to the dealer, both right and left rocker arm assembly need to be replaced. So you think that the fact that incorrect oil was used this could have lead to this issue, right? As to lifters, I always hear those suckers but thought they were normal as I had a 3.7 Nitro in the past before upgrading to the 4.0 and their noise was always present.

To be honest, I just don't want the dealer to supposedly fix this issue and mess up another on purpose. They are the biggest crooks in the auto industry.

I appreciate your input on this matter bud. Thanks!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Good that the cap had it on there. Then there is no excuse at all for the incorrect grade oil to have been used.

It is possible the incorrect oil could have led to the issue at hand. The fact the dealer is willing to replace parts at their expense, would also lead me to believe they think/believe it did, or could have.
So the deduction lies; If the wrong oil use caused the rocker arm assemblies to start to fail prematurely, What other internal engine damage could it have caused? Cam lobes worn flat, bearings overheating, etc.
To be totally honest, the only way to know, is to completely break down the engine and mic each component to determine the wear. Which a dealer is more then likely not willing to do.

If you are not comfortable with this dealer, you may have to get FCA (Dodge Corp) involved to try to get repair authorization at a different location/dealer. But, whatever, if any, resolution they offer, is all you may get.

Any rig with lifters will have a little noise. The question is how much there is?
I do not have a 4.0 so I can't speak to that specific engine from a personal standpoint. All I can do is to say others here on the forum, with the 4.0, have not said a lot about having noisy lifters.
The 3.7 lifters are noisy, as you and I know first hand.

Maybe you can find another 4.0 Nitro in your area and listen to there engine and compare it to yours?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts