Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

A happy new year and all the best to you all for 2020 and beyond. I'm hoping for a bit of guidance towards the issue that I'm experiencing at the moment. I recently returned from a trip after 3 weeks and all of a sudden my heater barely works. As soon as I start the car in the AM, it takes forever for the heater to blow hot air. It eventually starts to blow warm air (not hot) after 20mins or so. All was working fine before I left. I guess not using the car for the 3 weeks took a toll on my Nitro so it seems. In the afternoon, it takes a little less time to eventually blow a bit of warmer air than in the morning. However, I assumed this is due to the outside weather being a bit warmer in the afternoon than in the morning I guess, who knows!

Any ideas on where to start digging for a fix on this issue? Thank you and I look forward to your reply if possible.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,205 Posts
Check the coolant level. If it dropped to low you could have gotten air trapped in the heater core.
When at operating temp check both heater hoses at the firewall. (Careful they may be VERY hot)
They should be close to the same temp.
If they are, feel the heat on passenger side vents compared to drivers side. Let us know the results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the coolant level. If it dropped to low you could have gotten air trapped in the heater core.
When at operating temp check both heater hoses at the firewall. (Careful they may be VERY hot)
If they are, feel the heat on passenger side vents compared to drivers side. Let us know the results.
Hello,

Coolant is definitely low at the min level
Hello,
Coolant is low, not at the max level for sure. Not sure if this pic fully confirms that its low. As to the hoses, they are both at the same hot level temp. Not super hot though. Same heat blows on all vents inside the cabin. Let me know what else to check. Thx

Attachments

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,205 Posts
Yep, low for sure. Fill it up with some HOAT antifreeze. I use Zerex G05.
Run till at operating temp, shut down and let cool(overnight). Fill it again...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Will do that today. Question, there are (3) types of Zerex Antifreeze as per my searching.

1. Zerex G-05 Yellow Antifreeze
2. Zerex G-05 50/50 premixed (ready to use)
3. Zerex G-05 Concentrate

which one do you use?
Thank you again!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,205 Posts
I have never seen Z-05 colored yellow. The bottle is gold, the coolant is pinkish.
It is the only one I could find that meets Mopar HOAT standards (MS-9769). Check the label for MS-9769 to be sure.
I use concentrate and distilled water. Whatever you do DO NOT use tap water to mix!
Premix is fine also if you don't want to mix your own.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, thank you. Will apply it tonight and refill if needed tomorrow morning. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I did not have to refill AF again and heater is blowing a bit hotter air now. Keep in mind it is not quite as hot as it used to be. What should be the next step? Flushing the heater core possibly according to what I have been reading online? I would want to avoid it though. Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The hot air temp coming out of vents is about 110 degrees. Like I said, it have felt air blowing out of these vents hotter than the current. Do you happen to know what should be the average hot temp at full speed?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,205 Posts
@ 60° F outside, blower on High, temp at floor vent should be 125° F.
60 is the lowest outside temp the manual has listed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm I see so its definitely low on temp for sure. So what should I check next? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,205 Posts
How warm is it in your area?
The above #s are only good at 60° F outside temp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This week I havent really test it much due to weather here in Florida lately being in the mid 80’s which is pretty hot. As of now, weather is at 72.

However, we are expecting a drop next week in the 30’s.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,205 Posts
70°F outside = 133°F
80°F outside = 139°F
90°F outside = 144°F
At the floor vent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for the info. Will take it to the shop. Its just not heating as it should. I looked at the coolant and it went a bit lower than where I maxed it out at earlier last week. Any other things to quick check before I head to the shop?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,205 Posts
Only other thing off the top of my head is if the electric (or viscus fan, If you have one) is on all the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts