2011 Heat 4x4 Questions

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Offroad' started by Hardwired86, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Hardwired86

Hardwired86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Dodge Nitro
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Dark Charcoal Pearl
    Hi all, I am new both to the nitro and to the forum and have a couple questions.

1) I have a 2011 heat 4x4 and when I put it in 4wd it feels like the steering is binding. I also have a 99 ram (solid front axle) an 02 dakota (IFS) and an 07 charger (AWD) and none feel like this. I actually felt/heard a "clunk" when almost turned completely to lock. Does anyone else have this issue? I get the feeling that the previous owner may have lowered it because of this issue and whenever I park next to the Jeep liberty KK it seems so much taller, which leads into my next question...

2) I have read on here that you cant lift more than 2.5-3" because the front driveshafts will pull out, when searching I have only found jeep lift kits that say they will fit the nitro. has anyone tried putting the driveshafts from the jeep on the nitro and swapping springs to get more of a lift out of it? I am assuming that if the jeep is factory taller than the nitro but the parts work between them then you should be able to do it and get more of a lift out of it and possibly fit more than a 30" tire under it.

Also, are there any body lifts out there for the nitro? I would think that if you did the 2.5-3" lift and a 1-2" body lift you might also get a little extra space for the tires so you wouldn't have to cut the pinch weld. I figure if you swapped for the jeep springs/drive shafts, do the lift and the body lift you may even be able to stuff a 32-33" tire under the fender and still be driveable.

2. KansasNitro

KansasNitro Active Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Welcome Hardwired!!!!
    The Liberty sits just a bit taller in stock form than our Nitro's so that isn't surprising that you noticed that. My Nitro has 176000 miles on it and the only 'binding' I've ever run in to was when locked in 4x and at a full turn, but that's normal and I had the same feeling in my Wrangler when in 4L and at a full turn. It may be a front driveshaft or axle issue if its that bad on yours.
    The Nitro and Liberty do share many parts but many of the suspension gadgets are not the same. You'll have to check around to see what is same/same for both. The front drive shaft length is just one difference. I've got a 1.5" lift on mine and run 30.8" Hankook tires without any issues on, or off the pavement
    Since our Nitros are of unibody construction, like a Cherokee, there aren't any body lifts available.

As many 4x Lovers have found, you'll probably have to d a lot of swapping and fabricating to get your Nitro higher than a 3" lift, but in can be done, for a price.

3. Hardwired86

Hardwired86 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Dodge Nitro
    Trim:
    Heat
    Color:
    Dark Charcoal Pearl
    Thanks for the reply Kansas, I was beginning to think no one was going to say anything.

That kinda sucks that binding at steering lock is normal for these things, I wouldn't think a manufacturer like dodge or jeep would let something like that go. The binding on mine isn't completely terrible but when trying to make a sharp turn I noticed it made the "clunk" and felt like it was binding. Like I said in he original post, I have owned many 4x4 (all dodges) and never run into it so it had me a little worried. For what its worth, I live on the side of a mountain and have tested the 4x several times and it seems very capable if only really needing better tires.

I guess I will have to look into the suspension parts more and see if they are compatible. I have read on here that some will grind the pinch weld down to stuff a 31" tire in there but I was hoping to possibly lift it high enough to not have to. I didn't know these were unibody and while you are technically correct in thinking that you cant "body lift" a unibody subaru drivers have been "body lifting" their unibody cars for a while. It's basically just spacing everything that is bolted to the body. I just wasn't sure if someone in the Nitro camp had thought to try it. I'm just not sure if the Nitro can take it but I thought it might help us run a slightly bigger tire.

KansasNitro likes this.