Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All...first time poster long time reader.

My Nitro has entered the dreaded Limp Mode. I am somewhat familiar with vehicle repairs but have no idea of what to expect when taking the vehicle in to get fixed.

Just wanted to get an idea of what the mechanics process should be. I would probably agree fully with their diagnosis and repair recommendations. There in lies the issue. I have no issue paying for a repair of my vehicle but obviously don't want to pay for things that are not necessary for the fix.

I understand that the fix could be as simple as a flash of the PCM all the way to a new Transmission.

So how do I know what is truly necessary to fix the problem? I am new to the area and from internet searches only see three dealerships within distance. I have read all their reviews but would still like to feel comfortable by having relevant questions to ask them to insure what they propose is the correct fix.

2011 Nitro SXT 4x4 AT 59,000 miles

Thanks in advance....

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum Roland Blunt.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

We need more info!
How/when did it go into limp mode?
Do you have a CEL? Any codes you can give us?
Any obvious things happen right before it limped out on you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scar0..

Nitro went into limp mode about a month ago. I work from home so haven't driven it since, wanted to have enough money saved for worst case scenario.

From what I recall, I backed out of driveway and then put it in Drive and then hit the gas. I was trying to get to the store before closing so was hurriedly driving. Got on freeway and about a mile or so it bumped and then high rpms. Pulled onto offramp and from that point on, Limp Mode.

CEL is on. Codes: P0750 and P0882

I have done the disconnect and reconnect battery but still went into Limp Mode.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Thanks.
P0750 = Shift solenoid (SS) A - circuit malfunction. Possible causes; Wiring, shift solenoid (SS), ECM/PCM/TCM
P0882 = Transmission control module (TCM) - power input signal low. Possible causes; Wiring short to earth, TCM

I'd have a look for a chafed wire first.
Look around the exhaust area since the wires are close to the exhaust.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,683 Posts
Adding to what Scar0 already said...

I have had this same thing happen to 2 vehicles. One was my wifes vehicle on a trip to Chicago. Did my research and found that a P0700 code of any kind can be temperature related.

When the vehicle has traveled for a long period, or in your case (abrupt high rev), the temperature can rise enough to throw the code and send vehicle into limp mode.

In one vehicle case, it was the connection plug to the transmission shift solenoid that manged to come loose. Reconnected, and all good.

In regard to wifes vehicle, the code was being thrown by a bad engine coolant temperature sensor. Replaced the temp sensor and all is good.

I'm not 100% sure how/why the temp sensor is related to the issue, but it is something you may want to look into.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK...checked wires and connections and saw nothing chafed or unconnected. Everything looked pretty newly wrapped.

I did notice the negative terminal on the battery did have quite a bit of corrosion on it. It has been quite humid and raining lately. Not sure if that would matter or if the battery is just not charging or an issue with grounding.

Thanks,

Roland

·
2,683 Posts
If your battery is original to the vehicle (2011) then it is 5 years old and probably due for a new one. The average life of a vehicle battery is 3-5 years. If you do not have a volt meter to check the battery, you can take it to an auto parts store (AutoZone, etc.) and have them check it. They usually will check it for free.

It would be a good starting point..;)

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
You also may want your trany fluid level checked.

·
2,683 Posts
Low tranny fluid... Most likely yes.

Since the Nitro is electronics dependent to run/operate at its best, a weak battery can cause electrical issues and cause the vehicle to do some pretty strange things, including throw out bogus codes. So that too is entirely possible.

As I said earlier, do a voltage check on the battery. It should read high 11's to low 13's (Volts) when NOT running. When running it should read anywhere from 12-17 volts. An average reading while running is 14-16 volts. Anything lower than 12 volts indicates a weak battery.

Because of your mention of corroded terminals, it is possible that the battery may be leaking acid. If that is the case, a leaky battery will weaken over time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for response...Will get the battery checked and as for the transmission fluid, I would need that done by the dealership I am guessing. Since Dodge doesnt provide the option of self maintenance.

Was figuring on dealership to do that anyways when I took it in to get evaluated. That's kinda why I wanted to have some prepared questions so I could make sure the issue was being addressed properly and I wasn't overcharged. Pretty much assumed that it could be in limp mode for a myriad of reasons and whatever they tell me needs to be done, I would basically say do it.

Low fluid, faulty solenoid pack, bad TCM, software reflash or full transmission failure. Or anything in between. It's a crap shoot.

Thanks,

Roland

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
This may be as simple as a bad relay.

How the battery cables are connected and disconnected is very important!
Disconnect the Neg(-) battery cable. Then disconnect the Pos (+) battery cable.
Clean them up and also the + connection at the TIPM (Fuse box) if needed.

Pull relay K5 and replace it with a new one.

Tighten the + connection at the TIPM (Fuse box) if needed.
Connect the Pos (+) battery cable. Then Connect the Neg(-) battery cable.

Reactions: Metaldog

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar situation I leave the driveway drive about 3 miles to the freeway when I get to 70 it acts like I went into neutral I pull over to a stop shift to reverse then back to drive it drives but in limp mode.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cel #p3000
Ive been doing research all day cant find much about that code other that being voltage related. Had a dead battery 2 months ago but nothing since replacing with a new. Solid 14.3 on my obd2 monitor. I did notice the main harness loom a bit crispy while inspecting. That is my next to-do to make sure I'm not shorting anything once im off work. I'll update soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts