Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bought this car from a co worker. A diesel “master tech” it was his wife’s daily. Long story short it started skipping real bad he couldn’t get it to run right so it stayed parked for the better part of the last 18 months. I put a new battery in it cleaned it up pulled codes while getting it to run. It won’t run at all on it’s own power will barely crank it skips incredibly bad. Codes were for multiple cylinder misfire. After further inspection found misfires on 2 mainly and 4. Had correct spark further investigation no pulse from either injector. Check reference and signal voltage to injectors ground and signal both fine. So dead injectors. Replaced all 6 they were 40$ a piece and I like the peace of mind. Anyways crank it same problem skipping like two crackheads at the block double Dutch party. This time zero codes other than running rich on both banks. So I drive it home almost 2 hours. Keep in mind I did all this troubleshooting and work while in a strangers yard because he left the car parked at his previous residence. The renters were nice people though and I was frustrated so I drove it on home kept my scanner on it so i could watch live data. Noticed a few times the cel would flash and my injector pulse for number 2 would die. But after a while it cleared on up completely. At higher RPMs the thing drove like a dram. And as long as you keep it above 1k rpm there’s no miss it sounds good. I also should mention while I was there I put new plugs wires and coils. Cheap plugs not platinums. So I get it home pull it into my shop for more diagnosis and still no active codes other than the rich on both banks. I was thinking knock sensor or O2 sensors but I’ve never had either go bad without triggering a code. Any one got any ideas where I could go from here? O2 sensors are 80$ and there’s 4 of them, or the tipm or pcm. I don’t wanna just load the parts cannon. Edit** also should note that I checked compression in all 6 cylinders ranged from 130s to 160 so compression is fine the thing only has 76k miles they’re hard miles cuz these people don’t take care of anything. But I got a good deal on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check your spark plugs.

Black as hell? Oily? Burnt?

could be cam sensor, crank sensor, EGR, etc.
The original new champions were a little black when I got them home after the 2 hour drive the electrodes were fine perfect honestly. I replace with basic ngk coppers. They look brand new but I haven’t really ran just crunk and idled at about 1000-1200 rpm to read live data. The egr is working properly I’ve tested it. Cam and crank sensor both check out with a multimeter and my matco max 3.0 scan tool. I’m at my wits end here 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m sure it’s something simple I just don’t wanna start throwing parts at it. At this point I’m thinking about pulling valve covers and the front cover to check timing assembly even though I have no “misfire”

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The original new champions were a little black when I got them home after the 2 hour drive the electrodes were fine perfect honestly. I replace with basic ngk coppers. They look brand new but I haven’t really ran just crunk and idled at about 1000-1200 rpm to read live data. The egr is working properly I’ve tested it. Cam and crank sensor both check out with a multimeter and my matco max 3.0 scan tool. I’m at my wits end here 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m sure it’s something simple I just don’t wanna start throwing parts at it. At this point I’m thinking about pulling valve covers and the front cover to check timing assembly even though I have no “misfire”
the crank sensor on these are a pita to get to lol 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bought this car from a co worker. A diesel “master tech” it was his wife’s daily. Long story short it started skipping real bad he couldn’t get it to run right so it stayed parked for the better part of the last 18 months. I put a new battery in it cleaned it up pulled codes while getting it to run. It won’t run at all on it’s own power will barely crank it skips incredibly bad. Codes were for multiple cylinder misfire. After further inspection found misfires on 2 mainly and 4. Had correct spark further investigation no pulse from either injector. Check reference and signal voltage to injectors ground and signal both fine. So dead injectors. Replaced all 6 they were 40$ a piece and I like the peace of mind. Anyways crank it same problem skipping like two crackheads at the block double Dutch party. This time zero codes other than running rich on both banks. So I drive it home almost 2 hours. Keep in mind I did all this troubleshooting and work while in a strangers yard because he left the car parked at his previous residence. The renters were nice people though and I was frustrated so I drove it on home kept my scanner on it so i could watch live data. Noticed a few times the cel would flash and my injector pulse for number 2 would die. But after a while it cleared on up completely. At higher RPMs the thing drove like a dram. And as long as you keep it above 1k rpm there’s no miss it sounds good. I also should mention while I was there I put new plugs wires and coils. Cheap plugs not platinums. So I get it home pull it into my shop for more diagnosis and still no active codes other than the rich on both banks. I was thinking knock sensor or O2 sensors but I’ve never had either go bad without triggering a code. Any one got any ideas where I could go from here? O2 sensors are 80$ and there’s 4 of them, or the tipm or pcm. I don’t wanna just load the parts cannon. Edit** also should note that I checked compression in all 6 cylinders ranged from 130s to 160 so compression is fine the thing only has 76k miles they’re hard miles cuz these people don’t take care of anything. But I got a good deal on it.
Same with my sissy's 2011 nice vehicle but so many issues. She finally listened and uses synthetic oil runs so much better. She also has been having issues with it cutting off. I haven't been feeling well and can't work on cars as I used too. Most mechanic's look at me crazy as I am a female. Been working on vehicles since I was 11yrs old. I have a few mechanic's that actually have given me props as I know what I am talking about. Good luck be careful though as some parts on the 2011 are discontinued like the oil pan. I finally found it out of Canada Mopar still very expensive. Good luck and take care

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to dig a little deeper into it tomorrow when I get it back to my shop. An hour drive should be plenty of time for any errant codes to pop up. I may just rebuild the engine and trans throw a new timing set in it and be done with it. I’ve only got 1.5k in it as it sits now. I’m gonna go over some things with fine tooth comb tomorrow see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so after further investigation. Drove it to my shop kept scanner on to view live date. After about 15 minutes I had a misfire in 2 bad and 4 intermittently. #2 injector completely cut out and would come in randomly for a second or two and #4 would intermittently do the same thing. Also ended up with a code for bank 1 sensor 2 O2 sensor the downstream. It’s siezed up bigger than hell. I removed retreaded and replaced it. Further investigation into the injector problem they’re both new and flow test fine. Checked the wiring from the pigtail all the way back to ecm wiring is fine no signal loss have continuity on both leads. So I’m leaning towards a bad ECM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts