Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some rims but I am not sure whether to go with 20's or 22's. I would like to get 22's but I am afraid that due to the shorter tire sidewall that they would be more prone to damage due to potholes on the road. Has anyone with 22's had any issues of this kind.

· Registered
635 Posts
The 22's will most likely be a little heavier increasing unsprung wait
and increasing stopping distance. A little rougher ride with the shorter
sidewall. They'll also be more prone to damage from potholes etc.. but
they sure look sweet.

I switched from 18" to 20" on my Charger and the difference was huge.
I like them a lot better but I still need to upgrade my brakes to help it
stop like it did before (additional unsprung weight). That's where I felt
the biggest difference between the two.

IMHO, 20's if your gonna lower it, 22's if your not.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
You want to go with a lower offset when upsizing you whel diameter. An 18-20MM offset should fit fine with no rubbing issues. 265-35 is about as big as you can go without rubbing issues. I'm looking to upgrade to 22's from 20's in the first half of 09.
I have 22's on my Dakota right now and being that it is a heavier vehicle the ride is very smooth. 265-40's on it.

· Registered
63 Posts
If you go somewhere to buy and fit the wheels they should on 22's fit like a glove if the guys know what they are doing.

From 20 to 22's my steering is alot better (not so light) and the handling has improved.

Looks awsome :smileup:

22's are the way to go.

Cheers Simon.

G

·
If you go somewhere to buy and fit the wheels they should on 22's fit like a glove if the guys know what they are doing.

From 20 to 22's my steering is alot better (not so light) and the handling has improved.

Looks awsome :smileup:

22's are the way to go.

Cheers Simon.
Here here:) I second that.

· Registered
478 Posts
I'll put in an oddball vote: I have 20s on my R/T, and they are plenty flashy to me. The idea of having even less rubber/air cushion on them than that makes me nervous. If I were to have to take a corner fast, skid out somewhere, or my goodness, actually ENGAGE my 4x4 on a gentle off-road condition, I'd hate to have less cushion. I'm not knowledgeable about all the physics of it all, but I THINK it would be easier to strip off/blow out/otherwise damage the 22s. I could be wrong, though.

So in my opinion, 20's are plenty flashy but slightly more secure, a little readier-for-anything, choice. Aftermarket 20s of your choice are a BIG improvement over the stock 20s -- I am in love with my KMC Kubic 20s, and I think they dramatically improved the looks of my wheels, even though they're the same size as were my R/T stock 20" rims.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.