Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, some of you guys know that I inherited my mom's 2007 Nitrothis year when she graded her daily driver. Has high hwy miles on it but the truck is in great shape and paid for. I got frustrated in deer season because in a slightly wet off road situation, I got stuck. I have since considered trading it for something w 4wd. I like my Nitro and was wondering if it is possible to turn a 2wd into a 4wd. Any thoughts?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,127 Posts
Anything is possible with enough $. But the reality is, with all the electronics involved, it would be cheaper to get a Nitro with 4x4 then to try to convert one.

Reactions: JPthekid

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured......

....so I will probably hang on to it, put a winch and better tires on it and go from there.

·
Lighting Guru!
3,633 Posts
I have found that by simply adding a little weight above the rear axle (2 80lb bags of cement), my traction is greatly improved in my Nitro.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
If you visited a salvage yard, and found on that was hit in the rear, it could be done. You would need the front 1/2 shafts, front differential, front drive shaft, transfer case, console with the selector switch, a TIPM from your model year with 4wd and all the necessary harnesses. My dealer told me that all Nitros were build with all of the electric/electronics for all of the different models so you might be in luck. Of course, there is a price for everything. The rear drive shaft would also need to be replaced, and the 2wd may have different gearing in the rear. WOW! :eek: And, I may have forgotten something.

:cool:

·
Registered
247 Posts
You could always look for a trade-in. That might be less expensive than converting your current ride.

·
Registered
649 Posts
To much work.... I’d just find a 4wd nitro or other 4wd myself.... or as you said.. get some better tires... maybe add Scars esp off switch to give you some more ass to get out. Winch never hurt lol

·
Registered
992 Posts
I may try to attempt to do this if i can find a junkyard with all the mechanical parts...no time soon anyhow

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,127 Posts
The one thing he does not mention in the Vid or in the Vid comments is, what computer errors he gets when the input and output speed sensors on the trany are not giving the #s the computer expects to see.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
i don't know for sure, But i would imagine the wiring harness and the computer programming would be a pain to sort out !!!

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
226 Posts
Programming would be nightmare, wiring needs just couple extra wires. If you were able to reprogram your TIPM you would get "ABS config error". Easiest route would be replace all major components from donor: TIPM, ABS, PCM?, WCM?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Lol like originally thought.... just buy a 4wd

Reactions: Scar0
1 - 13 of 13 Posts