Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks im wondering if i have an intercooler or not. I don't have a tow package so logic points towards no. But im curious if its an integrated cooler/radiator or is a totally separate cooler. Either way i plan on adding a tow package and would like the insurance of keeping the tranny cool. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
i think you just need to add the viscous cooling fan.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your totally Correct. It looks like you can add an oil cooler as well but im note sure of the benifit that would be.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,219 Posts
The aux engine oil cooler only fits on the 4.0. There was a member here who tried unsuccessfully to install one on the 3.7.(maybe user error?)
With the OME Tow package you also get sway mitigation programming for the computer.(dealer programmed)
The trany cooler, with or without the Tow package, is the same.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting i read that post i thought he was successful but had to use a different oil filter due to space limitations. So sway mitigation is only on the computer if the hitch is factory installed?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,219 Posts
The issue was the threads for the cooler are for the 4.0 filter and block. They are not the same as the 3.7 and he said there was not enough room to get the cooler into place (oil pan was in the way).
Yes, but a dealer can add it for a fee.
Also with the OEM install you get the trailer harness which gets power from the battery, via relays, not the normal light circuits. Plus a 6 way plug with a 4 way adapter.
My way of thinking is, its better to have the 6 way and not need it, then to have a 4 way, just to have to pull it out and install the 6 way at a later time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The issue was the threads for the cooler are for the 4.0 filter and block. They are not the same as the 3.7 and he said there was not enough room to get the cooler into place (oil pan was in the way).
Yes, but a dealer can add it for a fee.
Also with the OEM install you get the trailer harness which gets power from the battery, via relays, not the normal light circuits. Plus a 6 way plug with a 4 way adapter.
My way of thinking is, its better to have the 6 way and not need it, then to have a 4 way, just to have to pull it out and install the 6 way at a later time.
I totally agree with you. While the $30 harness of ebay is tempting i plan on using an OEM harness and wiring it so i dont have issues down the road. I need to get a key programmed (Only came with one) so maybe they will flash it at that time.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
if you are towing something heavy on the freeway, then sway mitigation is a must in my opinion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The heaviest thing ive ever towed would be a uhaul 100 miles usually its just snowmobiles and dirtbikes.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,219 Posts
Sway mitigation has come in handy when I tow our boat. It was an unexpected purchase but to good to pass up. So you never know. LOL
Doubt the dealer will add the programing for free, unless you have a good relationship with them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh im quite certain they wont do it for free haha. They'll probably charge me an arm and a leg just to program the key i got off eBay.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,219 Posts
Some will refuse to add the programming unless you have them do the install...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey folks im wondering if i have an intercooler or not. I don't have a tow package so logic points towards no. But im curious if its an integrated cooler/radiator or is a totally separate cooler. Either way i plan on adding a tow package and would like the insurance of keeping the tranny cool. Thanks guys!
when you say intercooler, i meant intercooler, radiator purposed in air temperature reduction from turbocharger.
3.7 has not turbocharger

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Inter cooler can be used as a bit of a blanket term. Based on your response im sure turbos use inter coolers but i was refereeing to the heat exchanger use for transmission cooling as you may have been able to decipher from my previous posts.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,219 Posts
Funny I was thinking "Who has a Turbo on a 3.7?" when I first read the title...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Inter cooler can be used as a bit of a blanket term. Based on your response im sure turbos use inter coolers but i was refereeing to the heat exchanger use for transmission cooling as you may have been able to decipher from my previous posts.
yes i've got it, it should be TRANS COOL. Anyway our Euro nitro has Trans cooler togheter with air condtioning cooler... W5A580 trans. I'm not sure for Your 3.7 in U.S. will check on FSM

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes i've got it, it should be TRANS COOL. Anyway our Euro nitro has Trans cooler togheter with air condtioning cooler... W5A580 trans. I'm not sure for Your 3.7 in U.S. will check on FSM
God i wish i had a turbo with the 3.7. Id get awfully chilly in Minnesota driving around with the windows open so i could listen to the turbo whistle. I did some homework and the transmission does have an integrated cooler in the radiator.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
yeh i knew what meant.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,219 Posts
God i wish i had a turbo with the 3.7. Id get awfully chilly in Minnesota driving around with the windows open so i could listen to the turbo whistle. I did some homework and the transmission does have an integrated cooler in the radiator.
Unfortunately the 3.7 can't handle any kind of boost. It would just break.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts