Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, 1 month ago my 2008 3.7 Nitro's thermostat went bad. I didn't realize it until it was in the red. Long story short, it popped the radiator. I just installed a brand new Mopar radiator, hoses, and thermostat. I fill up the radiator and run it waiting for the thermostat to open and drop the coolant so I can add more. Never happed. The temp got up to 234°F and I shut it down. Radiator cap is still cool. Wtf man? Is there a pocket of air? Bad brand new thermostat? Any suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is definitely pressure on the radiator cap. Not even warm though. I wonder if that brand new thermostat is bad? ....and yes, it's installed the correct way and not upside down.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,207 Posts
Sounds like air trapped in the water pump and is just cavitating.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I always recommend using the Air Lift system (if you have access to a air compressor) to make sure you have no air pockets in the system.
If not, Harbor Freight has a “spill free funnel” type kit to help bleed the system the old fashion way.
Hopefully when it overheated it didn’t cause any damage

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always recommend using the Air Lift system (if you have access to a air compressor) to make sure you have no air pockets in the system.
If not, Harbor Freight has a “spill free funnel” type kit to help bleed the system the old fashion way.
Hopefully when it overheated it didn’t cause any damage
Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I turned the Nitro around so it's on an incline. Then I had to fill up the radiator further. I took the air bleed fitting out of the engine's filler port until coolant ran over out of it, then plugged it off and stopped off the radiator. I've had it running for a while now and it sat at 201 for a while...then 203 for a while...and now it just went to 205 according to my Zurich ZR13. The temp gauge in the cluster is dead sitting on the middle black line. It's 56°F outside temperature and the hood is closed with it running for 38mins now.
Does this sound normal...or still too high?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,207 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out.
Mine always runs dead center of the temp gauge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts