Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am hoping you all can help me out. I have a 4wd Nitro, not sure if Shock or Heat. I do know that its pretty basic model. My dad went to change the plugs on it today and could not figure out how to get to them. I've been all over the Web trying to find an affordable repair manual to no avail. Is there somewhere I can get printable step by step instructions on how to swap them out? Diagrams would be a plus as well. Thank you all in advance!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,326 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum edlightle.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Must be a 4.0. Plug change every 100K
Changing plugs on 2011 Shock 4.0L 4x4
While you are at it also do the timing belt, and water pump.
How To: 4.0L Timing Belt and Water Pump
I am very certain the engine is a 3.7L, says so right on the air intake. Would the process for changing out the plugs be the same for the 3.7L as the 4.0?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
didn't find anything regarding changing plug procedure for the 3.7, i think because it is straight forward.

but you should read this thread regarding type of spark plugs, the 3.7 should only use copper plugs.

http://www.nitroforumz.com/posts/217517/
Thank you for your response! My dad is trying to locate a diagram on how to take off the air intake. I cannot understand why it's so hard to find a repair manual for this thing!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If it's a 3.7 you do not have to take off the intake manifold. It will have one coil for each plug . Pull off the coil plug and remove the 10mm nut. Pull coil straight up. Plug is recessed under the coil .

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,326 Posts
In the later years they used a Waste spark system. Which means there are only 3 coil packs (under which are 3 spark plugs)with 3 plug wires going to the other 3 spark plugs on the opposite side.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Can you upload a picture of your engine?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,326 Posts
At the bottom of the bolt is a captive sleeve. Once the bolt is loose, you just need to pull the bolt up hard to get it to come out.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My mistake 2011 .

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,326 Posts
Your welcome.
The 3.7 requires plugs every 30k, ZFR6F-11G or equivalent; Gap 0.043 in.
Do not use platinum plugs in the 3.7! They will only cause you problems.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,326 Posts
I'd look for the source of the water. The coil packs are up there pretty high to be getting road splash in them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
would the NGK V power nickel plated plug work? I have seen several thing about the platinum plugs does it have to be the copper core plug?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Your welcome.
The 3.7 requires plugs every 30k, ZFR6F-11G or equivalent; Gap 0.043 in.
Do not use platinum plugs in the 3.7! They will only cause you problems.
these are the plugs for 3.7.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts