Dodge Nitro Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone! My dodge nitros engine is 3.7 as well and the spark plugs and coils 2,4 and 6 seem to be covered. This would mean I’d have to remove the parts surrounding it to get to change them. Has anyone any steps to be able to do this. It’s not the 4.0

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,326 Posts
Welcome to the forum Luna. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

What year Nitro do you have?

This is a How-to for the 3.7 plug change and more. See "Part 2" for the plugs.

If you only have 3 coil packs (later years 3.7 Nitro), you should have 3 wires coming from the 3 coil packs sitting on 3 of the plugs, with wires going to the other 3 plugs. Pay attention to which wire goes where and which coil pack goes where. You need to put them back exactly as they were!
Only use ZFR6F-11G plugs for the 3.7, changed every 30k, NGK is OEM brand and what I use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome to the forum Luna. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".

If you only have 3 coil packs (later years 3.7 Nitro), you should have 3 wires coming from the 3 coil packs sitting on 3 of the plugs, going to the other 3 plugs. Pay attention to which wire goes where and which coil pack goes where. You need to put them back exactly as they were!
Only use ZFR6F-11G plugs for the 3.7, changed every 30k, NGK is OEM brand and what I use.
Year 2011

·
Registered
5 Posts

If you only have 3 coil packs (later years 3.7 Nitro), you should have 3 wires coming from the 3 coil packs sitting on 3 of the plugs, going to the other 3 plugs. Pay attention to which wire goes where and which coil pack goes where. You need to put them back exactly as they were!

Attachments

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,326 Posts
In the first Pic directly under the air tube going to the throttle body, there is a plastic clip with 3 spark plug wires going thru it. Follow the wires toward the drivers side. Each spark plug wire connects to a coil pack on the drivers side, and to an additional spark plug on the passenger side.

Each of the coil packs sits directly on top of a spark plug.
At the top of each coil pack is also a wire harness with 2 small wires. You will need to remove the wire harness plugin from each coil pack.
At the base of each coil pack you will see a bolt holding it in place. You will need to remove those.
You may also need to remove spark plug wire from the coil pack(be sure to remember which spark plug wire goes to which coil pack!).
At this point you need to remove the coil packs to get to the spark plugs on the drivers side.
See the How-to "Part2"; https://www.nitroforumz.com/threads/how-to-oil-change-spark-plug-change-headlight-adjustment-blinker-fix-for-3-7.40609/

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks so much. Was able to get the spark plugs switched. My car feels like it did before the problems but the engine light is still on. But not flashing. Hoping it may go away in a few days but going tomorrow to advanced auto to run a test on it just in case. Again thank you made something that seemed difficult a lot easier.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,326 Posts
Glad you were able to get the job done. As long as the plugs you installed are the right ones, things should be back to normal soon.
But, depending on how long the check engine light was flashing, there may be more that needs to be taken care of. We'll cross that bridge later if needed.
Keep us posted on how thing go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For Chrysler 3.7L V6 engines: (mine just happens to be in a 2011 Jeep Liberty)

CYLINDER NUMBERS
standing at the front and facing the motor...
right side front to back 1,3,5 (note they are all odd numbers in order)
left side front to back 2,4,6 (note they are all even numbers in order)

There is no need for spark plug wires on the right side of the engine.
This motor has 3 coils and they snap directly on top of the spark plugs 1,3,5 on the right side.
The left side does not have their own coils.
Three spark plug wires run from the left and snap on to the side of one of the three coils that are on the right side.

TO MAKE IT EASY, DO THESE TWO THINGS BEFORE YOU START WORKING OR BEFORE YOU READ ANY FURTHER...
(I wish I would have done this before I accidentally mixed up my spark plug wires)
ON THE RIGHT SIDE DO THIS:
- THE FRONT COIL, WRITE A (1) ON TOP OF IT & WRITE A (4) ON THE SIDE OF IT AND A (4) ON THE END OF THAT PLUG WIRE.
- THE MIDDLE COIL, WRITE A (3) ON TOP OF IT & WRITE A (6) ON THE SIDE OF IT AND A (6) ON THE END OF THAT PLUG WIRE.
- THE BACK COIL, WRITE A (5) ON TOP OF IT & WRITE A (2) ON THE SIDE OF IT AND A (2) ON THE END OF THAT PLUG WIRE.
ON THE LEFT SIDE DO THIS:
- AT THE FRONT SPARK PLUG, WRITE A (2) ON THE MOTOR NEXT TO IT AND A (2) ON THE END OF THAT PLUG WIRE.
- AT THE MIDDLE SPARK PLUG, WRITE A (4) ON THE MOTOR NEXT TO IT AND A (4) ON THE END OF THAT PLUG WIRE.
- AT THE BACK SPARK PLUG, WRITE A (6) ON THE MOTOR NEXT TO IT AND A (6) ON THE END OF THAT PLUG WIRE.

SPARK PLUG WIRES, which wire goes where? It's easy once you know the firing order of this 3.7L engine.
FIRING ORDER 1,6,5,4,3,2

First take the firing order and split it down the middle, making two halves (165) and (432)
Second stack the numbers.
In other words pair up the first number of each half, then the second numbers to each other, then the third ones.
So you wind up with these three pairs: 1-4, 6-3, 5-2.
These pairs show which spark plug wire goes to which coil.

Less technical and less detailed instructions listed below:

(front spark plug wire goes to back coil) or wire from cylinder 2-to-5 cylinder coil pack (as listed in pairs above)
(middle spark plug wire goes to front coil) or wire from cylinder 4-to-1 cylinder coil pack (as listed in pairs above)
(back spark plug wire goes to middle coil) or wire from cylinder 6-to-3 cylinder coil pack (as listed in pairs above)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts