Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between an 07-08 and 09-11 4.0 liter engine?
They are differentiated in several parts lists so something must be different.

I have a chance at a 2010 engine to put in my 07 but I need to be sure it will work.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not specific part numbers per se, but for example on eBay, all of the salvage sellers selling engines for nitros specify that they will fit either an 07-08 or an 09-11.
I just don't want to spend a grand or more on an engine that isn't going to work with my ecu or not bolt to the transmission or something.

· Super Moderator
384 Posts
I'm 100% confident it will physically fit. They didn't change the engine mounts or transmission bolt pattern or anything.
I don't know of any changes the 4.0 had--should be the same harness--should plug right up to your ECU.

The only significant change I know of that happened with the Nitro engines was that the 3.7L went from 6 coils to 3.

But, someone correct me if I'm wrong...

· Registered
5,974 Posts
changes to the Nitro in later years where mainly electronic, and programming, i know for the 3.7l engine they went for 6 ignition coil packs to 3 double coil pack, but never heard of any real changes for the 4.0l i'm pretty sure the 4.0l engine mechanics are the same throughout the years, if you buy the new engine it would be wise to change over as much of the electronic sensors etc, could save you loads of time fault finding if there is an issue
But there is no 100% way to say it is exactly the same engine, but if it where me and the price was right i would take the chance, there aint alot of these engines around (in good order)
part listed for for different year nitro's most of the time there info is incorrect, but if you are unsure about a specific part then post it here and we can check for you,

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I'm going to get it and see. Worst case I can probably sell it here to someone in similar circumstances.
My problem will be that I don't have the original engine at all so I'll just have to hope there weren't drastic changes to sensors or wiring. I think I have a complete original wiring harness so hopefully nothing changed location.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pretty sure there will be difference's if engine is not from a Nitro,
That's a different discussion that I've already got a thread on. But that was before I found this engine.
This is from a 2010 nitro. Not sure what package but it's definitely a 4.0 (at least according to the guy). I haven't actually seen it yet because it's a couple hours from me.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I got the engine. Heard it run before we removed it and it's got 154k.
It will probably be after Christmas when I get it in and going.
Any tips or tricks for the install? It's a pretty tight package in such a small truck. It didn't come out easy.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Should I worry about the oil pump while the engine is out?
What causes these engines to fail most often? How can I bulletproof while I can get to it easy?

I've got a timing belt kit on the way including a water pump..

· Registered
5,974 Posts
Happy new year, i was wondering how you was getting on,
never heard of trouble with the oil pump, alloy oil sump can be bad with corrosion or the drain plug threads can be stripped, bit of a job to sort out with the engine in,

water pump and belt, check the condition of the A/C pump clutch (quite common they go bad),

remove rocker covers and check that the camshaft pedistals are not worn down (caused by the camshaft rubbing on them), if you do this might as well change the plugs and the rubber seal on the plug tubes (they are prone to leaking and causing a missfire), when the engine is in the vehicle it is quite easy to trap the manifold gasket, ending up with a small air leak,
But after saying all that i would just want to get it in and make sure it was running ok, then go from there,

there is another forum member looking for the 4.0l crankshaft pulley if you want to sell your old one

1 - 20 of 24 Posts