Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 07 R/T used, and have put about 10k miles on it. It currently has almost 40k miles. It's had two oil changes, but it seems to use a quart every 1000 miles. Has anyone else seen this?

Just tonight I replaced the PCV valve, hoping the old one was pulling oil through the intake.

I don't notice it smoking, it doesn't leak, and I do not see any contamination in the coolant. The best I can tell it has to be going out the tailpipe.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
PCV valve was my first thought as well. I notice quite a bit of oil from the PCV tube hitting the back of my air filter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well 1k miles later, and it's only used 1/2 a quart. It's progress, but still BS in my book.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My Dad checks his oil so frequently, I tease him that he's WIPING a quart off the dipstick between oil changes! :chuckle:

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Do you have a lot of oil on the back side of your air filter and inside the air intake tube? Check your PCV valve. Change your air filter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine's still using about 1/2 a quart every 1k miles. It did help changing the PCV valve. I had already changed the air filter. I'm not sure what motor roamy is running. It does take the amount I add to get the level back up on the stick.

Florida Roadie, your result are what I'd expect from a vehicle made in this millennium.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Mine's still using about 1/2 a quart every 1k miles. It did help changing the PCV valve. I had already changed the air filter. I'm not sure what motor roamy is running. It does take the amount I add to get the level back up on the stick.

Florida Roadie, your result are what I'd expect from a vehicle made in this millennium.
cbear ...My R/T is always a half court low. When I've had it serviced at the dealers and the oil changed the dip stick shows it a half court low.

I trust no dealers to do it right so I always do a follow up and check all fluid levels when I bring it home ...also tire pressure ...I do not drive it often so the milage reflects that ..13 K plus miles and 40 plus months of ownership. But when I do drive it I drive it like I'm on my way to a fire ..

Have you considered that it is ( in a strange sort of way ) normal to be half qt. low... What I'm saying is ...What happens after it drops the first half qt.? does it continue to lose oil ? and go lower ? ..Or are you topping it off when it shows half qt. low ? I'd leave that sucker go to see where it went .I trust that your doing this checking and adding when the engine is cold ..I do mine before I start it ..ALWAYS .

Now that mine is out of warranty ,,the dealer will never see it again..

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I agree! I have had autos that would immediately go down a half to a full quart and then stay right there. I have had mechanics that I trust tell me that that is a safe condition to operate in. When I would try to top it off, it would be low again, by the same amount, in a day or two. Weird. :confused:

Oh, my 4.0L never burned any oil for the almost two years I owned it.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I agree! I have had autos that would immediately go down a half to a full quart and then stay right there. I have had mechanics that I trust tell me that that is a safe condition to operate in. When I would try to top it off, it would be low again, by the same amount, in a day or two. Weird. :confused:

Oh, my 4.0L never burned any oil for the almost two years I owned it.
Charlie I don't think it's so weird.. There are a lot of factors to be considered ..Length and seat of the dip stick ...After all it's not a highly technical measuring device ...Next the engine temp when measuring the oil level...And last but not least ..The attitude of the vehicle..Is it level ?

He could well be filling it above the proper level and the engine is saying .I hate this sh%t and just blowing the excess out the pipe ..

I don't think I'd let the level go below a Qt. but I'd sure as hell wait to see how low it actually goes ..

BTW I'm writing this in green because I found 5 $ today and I'm feeling flush... :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 07 rt with 41,000 miles also will use a quart of oil about every 1000 miles since new , no oil on air filter . would love to find out why

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just checked my oil again today and noticed I was down about a quart. I added some oil and I'm going to check it everyday to see how long it takes to go back down. No drips at all and I'm not noticing any smoke. My R/T is @ 80,000kms

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is starting to look like a 07 issue with the R/Ts. Mine's up to 53k miles. No issues, but still using oil. It almost doesn't make sense to put synthetic in it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
*thread bump* I have an 08 R/T, and seem to burn up a qt every 1000 as well. Any fixes found? Would like to know I have oil in my car between changes.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I purchased my 07 R/T used, and have put about 10k miles on it. It currently has almost 40k miles. It's had two oil changes, .......

I wonder if Mr. cbear is still with us? If what he wrote wasn't a typo,
that's what I would call stretching oil change interval to the extreme.
thanks, Douglas

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm still here. My oil change intervals are fine. She now has 929xx miles on the clock. Still uses about a 1/2 quart every 1000 miles. In the non winter months, I've found using Rotella T5 10w-30 has helped. I also replace the PCV valve every 30k miles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry Ive been away from the forums for a while, I posted on this topic a few months back. I dont know what method you are using when doing oil changes but I found the best fix is to follow the manual. If i remember correctly the manual states to use 6QTs. Being lazy that I am, I always would just buy the 5QT jugs and call it a deal. The dipstick always read FULL with just 5 quarts. After 3 oil changes I was noticing it "missing" anywhere from 1/2 - 1 QT oil. My last oil change I decided to put a full 6QTs to essentially "Overfill" it. After a bit of driving checked oil and level was back down to "FULL" line. Make sure you follow the manuals 6QTS, dont just fill till full.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts