Dodge Nitro Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have not noticed any oil consumption on ours between regular oil changes.

09 4..0L 108,000km(70k miles?) I use Castrol GTX 10W30.. regular dino juice. Changed every 3,000 miles since we've owned it, put about 25,000 miles in 2 years. Manufacturer says 6,000 but oil is cheap... engines are not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't think the PCV valve would be that big of a culprit. That's making me think about putting a catch can in... Will buy a new PCV valve and replace on my next oil change (probably weds or Thurs). Hope it helps, and thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The PCV valve might play a bigger part in it than you would think. It allows the blow by from combustion that enters the crankcase to vent out, relieving the pressure in the crankcase. If the pressure builds up it can force oil past seals and also past the rings into the cylinders.

I'm not saying positively that this is causing your problem, but it's a cheap fix if it is.

·
Registered
432 Posts
what's the PCV part number for the 3.7? thasnks, douglas

·
Registered
7 Posts
So you're saying that the problem may be that the valve may not be opening and allowing the pressure to build up in the crank case? I figured it would just be letting oil through the valve. I suppose that makes more sense though.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
If there is oil going through the PCV valve, you will have oil on the top of your air filter.(If you have a stock air box)
I do have this black oil on my filter, but I have not noticed a real drop in my oil level, or any real buildup on the inside of the air tube going to the throttle body.
It has been like this since day one. (Mine is a 3.7)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Low oil....leaking tube seal?

I just changed my oil and its always low. I figured since I'm coming up on 150,000 miles it would be a good time to replace the plugs and belt as well. I have a 4.0 R/T with 4wd with the towing package. The belt was a pain and for the plugs I had to take off the intake manifold, no big deal. When I pulled the plugs I noticed that two of my plugs had some oil on the threads and on the ceramic part of the plug it looked like the oil was being burned off it. This may be where my oil is escaping so I'm planning on replacing the tube seals on the valve covers along with a new valve cover gasket. It may be $30 well spent. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Lighting Guru!
3,633 Posts
I just changed my oil and its always low. I figured since I'm coming up on 150,000 miles it would be a good time to replace the plugs and belt as well. I have a 4.0 R/T with 4wd with the towing package. The belt was a pain and for the plugs I had to take off the intake manifold, no big deal. When I pulled the plugs I noticed that two of my plugs had some oil on the threads and on the ceramic part of the plug it looked like the oil was being burned off it. This may be where my oil is escaping so I'm planning on replacing the tube seals on the valve covers along with a new valve cover gasket. It may be $30 well spent. Has anyone else had this issue?
What belt are you speaking of?

I have had my plugs out a number of times but have never noticed any of them with oil. I do however seem to lack oil when I change it, despite the fact I change it religiously.

With that many miles though, I do not think replacing seals is a bad idea however.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
This man does make me laugh.
My Dad checks his oil so frequently, I tease him that he's WIPING a quart off the dipstick between oil changes! :chuckle:

·
Registered
10 Posts
What belt are you speaking of?

I have had my plugs out a number of times but have never noticed any of them with oil. I do however seem to lack oil when I change it, despite the fact I change it religiously.

With that many miles though, I do not think replacing seals is a bad idea however.
It was the serpentine belt. On my truck I have a transmission cooler because of the tow package. It doesn't leave much room to fit my arms around the fan.

·
Lighting Guru!
3,633 Posts
Gotcha. Was it causing you issues with the serp?

Just an FYI, all Nitros have a tranny and power steering cooler standard. I do believe the only addition is the viscous fan and engine oil cooler that could be added additionally to the 4.0 only.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've noticed about 1/2qt consumption every 1k as well on my 2011 4.0.

Mileage on "Tonka" is 82k and even though I live in Southern California my round trip commute is a measly 15 miles.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
We never change the oil in our 4.0. We just keep adding more as it leaks out.
But what do you expect from a 1988 Cherokee.;):rolleyes::eek:o_O:p

·
Registered
160 Posts
I started running 10w40 as opposed to the 10w30 recommended. Oil consumption disappeared. Was using about a quart every 1500 miles with 10-30.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update...I'm @ 112,000 miles and oil consumption is no better or worse on my 4.0. Still a quart down after 1,000 miles. Air filter & PCV changed regularly. No oil leaks and engine runs well. I still like my Nitro....despite oil adds

21 - 36 of 36 Posts