Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what the deal is here with this part? The only place I can find it at all is on either the Chrysler or Mopar websites. Only there, they want $570.00 for the freaken oil pan! The 3.7L oil pan is everywhere. Not the 4.0L pan though.

http://www.mopar.com/part/04892228AB?s=317097&i=1882002&b=dodge

Some oil change place in Florida jacked my drain threads when they rethreaded the drain bolt back in wrong. I've gone the "butterfly valve" route for the last 2 years, but now the hole has gotten too large to continue butterflying.

Any help would be appreciated.

Happy with this car so far. 103K miles.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum Superconductor.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Check out our vendors web site Looks like it is $192.40+ shipping.
Or you can PM Benny their rep here on the forum. Great folks to deal with.
When you PM Benny, he will need your VIN to ensure he gives you the correct part #.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
I think I found one on E-bay $90
It looks like they have the part # wrong by 1 number (last # is a 9 not an 8), but to be sure it fits, ask them before buying.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scar0, you certainly did! How did you do that? I had been searching on eBay as well? All I kept finding were the 3.7 L pans. Goes to show sometimes the search engines are more complicated than they have to be. You're the best. I'll certainly be headed over to the Newb Section. I'll be doing lots of little fixes to my car to get it back in "like-new condition" after just having finished paying it off.

Thanks again!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
I searched by name not part #, "4.0 oil pan" popped it right up.
But like I said above, contact the seller and make sure it is the correct one, before buying it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bad news on this. This part has been "Superseded". That means in 2011, although it had performed 7 years of duty on my car just fine, "Dodge" didn't think the part was good enough, so they made changes to part number 04892228AA and reissued it as part number 4892228AB. That part isn't available ANYWHERE for less than $500. And! the ridiculous thing is, everyone that needs one because some grease monkey cross-threaded their pan, is looking for it used as well. So you AREN'T going to find it used anywhere in North America. I'll be calling this eBay person and asking about fit.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PS. I had ordered this part from Mopar Online Parts at $220.00 (for some reason it had gone up in price $30 in 2 weeks) only to receive an email from them informing me of the bad new; my bill was now sky-rocketing to $499.50.

I contacted the ebay Seller, G-COR and indeed, they had this UNICORN part, used, but in good shape. $90. Bought it. We'll see the true condition when it arrives.

Unfortunately, considering this part was superseded in 2011, and Mopar Online Parts hadn't updated their webpage, with the rest of 'em, I've lost confidence in getting a reliable quote from them. I took them out of my favorites list. They had earned their way there with an advertised reasonable price. But as you can see, first contact lead to major disappointment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you tried checking around at your local junk yards for a used 4.0 pan?

I had a similar thing happen to me on the wife's 4.0 Nitro. She had the dealer doing the oil changes due to the convenience of our schedules. Well she came home after a change, and I found a puddle of oil under the Nitro coming from the drain plug. I checked the torque on the plug, and it was tight. Took it back to the dealer and they discovered the plug was cross threaded and stripped. Not quite what one would expect from the certified mechanics at a dealer! They concluded that it needed a new oil pan, and then they had the balls to suggest to me that I needed to pay for parts and labor! I blew up on them and they agreed to cover it. Needless to say, I do all the oil changes and most other servicing myself now, and they will never touch any of my vehicles again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you tried checking around at your local junk yards for a used 4.0 pan?

I had a similar thing happen to me on the wife's 4.0 Nitro. She had the dealer doing the oil changes due to the convenience of our schedules. Well she came home after a change, and I found a puddle of oil under the Nitro coming from the drain plug. I checked the torque on the plug, and it was tight. Took it back to the dealer and they discovered the plug was cross threaded and stripped. Not quite what one would expect from the certified mechanics at a dealer! They concluded that it needed a new oil pan, and then they had the balls to suggest to me that I needed to pay for parts and labor! I blew up on them and they agreed to cover it. Needless to say, I do all the oil changes and most other servicing myself now, and they will never touch any of my vehicles again.

....that YOU cover the cost?? Ohhhh-ha-ha-ha-haaa!! Wow! that's Ballzy! I had called around over the past 2 months to probably 20-25 salvage yards. It was always, "We keep that on the engine to sell it as a whole engine." Very, VERY difficult piece to find for a reasonable price. I mean, what was "Dodge" thinking when they jacked the price through the roof like this?? ...Oh that's right; "profit".

Glad you had things work out for you on the cross-thread issue. At least they finally owned the mistake.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
For those prices I would have helicoiled it...
Hope the one from E-bay works out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For those prices I would have helicoiled it...
Hope the one from E-bay works out.
I had a mechanic look at it for that option. He said the walls of the pan had been worn so thin by constant butterfly-valving, that it was no longer possible to tap anything else into it. He showed me. The lower lip of the pan, under the butterfly valve, actually comes to a sharp edge now. This was do-or-die time for me.

Glad you found that eBay seller for me. I owe you a couple brew-skis. ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Stop by a weld shop and see if they can patch and retap that section. It needs to be someone who's good with aluminum.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Here in CZ I can't compare, as US cars are relatively rare, but Nitro's 4.0 is basically 3.5V6 SOHC. (timing belt is same, spark plugs... many other stuff) Don't you have junk yard with Chrysler cars? I believe model 300 and Dodge Charger 2006+ had 3.5V6, Pacifica had 3.5 and 4.0 as well, just not EGG code (for rear wheel drive), but another engine code for front wheel drive.
It may be worth to go there with pan and compare. Cars mentioned above are much more common and US models share as many parts as possible.

Reactions: Jon Acuff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anybody know what the deal is here with this part? The only place I can find it at all is on either the Chrysler or Mopar websites. Only there, they want $570.00 for the freaken oil pan! The 3.7L oil pan is everywhere. Not the 4.0L pan though.

Some oil change place in Florida jacked my drain threads when they rethreaded the drain bolt back in wrong. I've gone the "butterfly valve" route for the last 2 years, but now the hole has gotten too large to continue butterflying.

Have been living with this problem for almost two years, had the over sized oil plug put in and had a moron strip that out. it was leaking so I had used R T V around it before replacing the oil. It seems to hold real well even in the heat. This has been my only fix so far. I have scoured the junk yards and used part places. The dealer found two in stock at 2 different dealer locations around 900 dollars plus shipping that was today. so good luck, if you use a sealant around your plug make sure it is one that will stand up to high heat. I love my Nitro too. 154,000 + miles still going strong.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum @raven916. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Glad you found a temporary solution. Have you looked into the Dodge minivan 4.0 to see if one of those would work?

·
Registered
318 Posts
To my knowledge RT minivan with 4.0 and LX cars with 3.5 have different sump- different oil filter location. My best bet would TIG welding new nut to the sump, it cant be that hard.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
I do not have a 4.0 to compare, but this one on amazon looks like the image I see in the 07 parts manual.
Someone with a 4.0 will have to verify it. For $71 it may be worth a look see. Amazon has a pretty good return policy.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Same here on my sissys truck can't find it and I don't care about the price a she has warranty that covers everything I just need the part

·
Registered
2007 R/T
174 Posts
Same here on my sissys truck can't find it and I don't care about the price a she has warranty that covers everything I just need the part

Amazon one looks a bit diff. Maybe has something to do w/the crossmember differences:

Mopar one:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts