Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 RT with the 4.0 Liter V6 SOHC engine.
I hear a ticking noise that sounds like lifter chatter to me.
The car sounds like a sewing machine.
I use 10w-30 Mobile1 Full Synthetic oil.
I've used CD2 oil additive on other vehicles in the past to fix this sort of issue.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should try that on my Nitro.
Any one have any suggestions or experience with oil additives?
I just did an oil and filter change and the noise is still there.

I apprehensive about using an oil additive because of the following statement I got from the owners manual.
It says...

Engine Oil Viscosity (4.0L Engine)
SAE 10W-30 engine oil is preferred.

Materials Added to Engine Oils
The manufacturer strongly recommends against the addition
of any additives (other than leak detection dyes) to
engine oil. Engine oil is an engineered product and it’s
performance may be impaired by supplemental
additives.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My dad has a 4.0L van, and his ticks horribly at startup if it's just slightly cold out. It's been getting progressively worse over the years. He does have a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty that he bought from Chrysler. It has been in a few times for other issues, and the ticking was mentioned, but the stealership seems to be avoiding acknowledging that they hear the noise. They did claim to "fix" something in the intake, but the noise is still the same. It's pretty bad now, and it will be going back to the stealership just for the ticking noise pretty soon. They won't be able to claim not to hear it anymore. I imagine the fix is pretty extensive, because they've been avoiding fixing it for a while now.

Does yours only do it at startup, or is it all the time?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dad has a 4.0L van, and his ticks horribly at startup if it's just slightly cold out. It's been getting progressively worse over the years. He does have a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty that he bought from Chrysler. It has been in a few times for other issues, and the ticking was mentioned, but the stealership seems to be avoiding acknowledging that they hear the noise. They did claim to "fix" something in the intake, but the noise is still the same. It's pretty bad now, and it will be going back to the stealership just for the ticking noise pretty soon. They won't be able to claim not to hear it anymore. I imagine the fix is pretty extensive, because they've been avoiding fixing it for a while now.

Does yours only do it at startup, or is it all the time?
It does it all the time. I had an F150 years ago that did the same thing. I poured in some CD2 and it fixed it right away. I'm thinking about doing that again but I'm afraid what an additive might do to it.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
if you think it is coming from the cam area, maybe think about removing the rocker covers and checking the cam pedistals for excessive side wear, its happend to a few of the 4.0l engines, but is quite rare

·
Registered
39 Posts
Before I bought my '09 RT I had a mechanic check it out, he said: "That's just the Dodge lifters sound". We replace two when we replaced the head gaskets, etc. and it helped. Now I'm hearing others, off-and-on, at 183,000 miles.
It's such a common problem, now Dodge sells the whole Lifter Set for replacement, not just individually !

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any one have any experience with oil additives?
Like I said earlier, I cured this on other brand vehicles with CD2 oil additive.
Not sure if they make CD2 anymore and I'm not sure if the engine can handle any additives.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Any one have any experience with oil additives?
Like I said earlier, I cured this on other brand vehicles with CD2 oil additive.
Not sure if they make CD2 anymore and I'm not sure if the engine can handle any additives.
This is a popular one on the 'Bob Is The Oil Guy' forums:

HPL Engine Cleaner
Bottle Liquid Fluid Drink Gas

This is also popular:

Tin Drink Liquid Beverage can Tin can

You could also check out the https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ for discussions on the minutiae of engine oils, cleaners, and flushes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts