Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had this noise for about two years or so, and here recently it has become louder.
*Noise is intermittent
*Only makes the rattle noise with the A/C on
*It’s loud and clear when sitting at idle, once I accelerate the noise goes away…from what I can tell
*It started off as a small tick, kinda like a lifter/rocker arm tick, and now it has become louder, more like a rattle.
The noise is definitely coming from the transmission, i can here it when using an auto thescope.

Anyone come across this with the 42RLE?
Not sure if it’s the torque converter or maybe the oil pump for the transmission. Maybe even something internally :\

Their are no other problems than this annoying noise

(if i can, I will post a youtube video and share it on here)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same issue. When engine is warm I hear it louder and only on low rpm. After checking every part with automotive stethoscope I found that the problem in water pump. Bought a new one from amazon and will let you know if it fixed after changing it. If is a water pump - driving can be dangerous with risk of motor overheating.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same issue. When engine is warm I hear it louder and only on low rpm. After checking every part with automotive stethoscope I found that the problem in water pump. Bought a new one from amazon and will let you know if it fixed after changing it. If is a water pump - driving can be dangerous with risk of motor overheating.
Hi, Ive had the same issue, but I replaced the waterpump as the bearing war wearing and it had a lot of wobble, but wasn't leaking, and the alternator, as it was red hot, too hot to touch, when the block and hoses were not warm.
Still have the rattle. It seems to be the air con compressor and or clutch. Definitely more noise with air con on, and in gear, less in park. Not sure why, torque could alter some geometry slightly.
Got a new compressor drier and exspansion valve to fit next.
I think its something internal in the compressor is loose.
All parts new from Rockauto, only about 7 days to get to Australia !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts