Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas! My nitro is a 2008, 3.7 6 speed and obviously 4wd.
I dont drive my nitro too terribly often, so its been sitting,in my dirt driveway for a couple months. There was snow on the ground when i parked it last, so I left it in four wheel.

Now when,i try to go out of 4 wheel, the 4wd indicator just flashes. The vehicle drives normally despite this, except when the steering,wheel is at full lock, it feels like its stuck in 4 wheel drive.

I've done some reading and saw some people suggested that the switch itself could be at fault. I hope this is the case!

But how do i trouble shoot the switch being bad? Is there something i can check with a multimeter?

Would a Haynes manual have troubleshooting procedures on this? I have a long drive to phoenix coming up soon, and id really like to have 2 wheel drive for it!

I

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
4WD must onlt be used on slippery surfaces (mud snow gravel etc), so don't drive on normal road surfaces in 4 wheel drive you will damage the 4WD system, every time you turn the wheel you are putting a huge amount of strain on the internal parts of the 4WD system,
doubt it's the switch that is the issue, most likely it's a sticking electric solonoid, the one which switches form 2WD to 4WD,

Reactions: Scar0

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Try removing the shift motor from the X-fer case and watch it to see if it moves when you change switch positions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ive ran into a similar case, My 4x4 just stopped working/ engaging. I only used it a couple of times in a riverbed. the last time i had to get pulled out cause it just didn't engage. so after getting pulled I switched it from 4x4 to normal cause I had noticed that the 4x4 light was blinking. I had my mechanic check the transfer case, diff. and tranny for any broken components but didn't find anything after putting everything together I took it to a 4x4 shop and was informed that the Torque Converter Clutch Circuit was open.. but they did suggest to go to a transmission shop...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been awhile! I pulled the motor, and it does not move. It was stuck in the 4 wheel drive position at that point. I pulled the fuse for that motor, and it went back into 2 wheel drive, which I thought was strange. Anyway, I put that back on and put the fuse back in and still would not shift into 4 wheel. So I went to work on other stuff on the vehicle, and when I went back to do a test drive, I noticed that the 4 wheel drive had engaged ( I did not drive more than a couple feet to notice, and it was on dirt) so again I pulled the fuse and again it went to 2 wheel drive.

What would this tell a person?

Does anybody know what I should be able to observe with a VOM? can I disconnect the harness at the motor and check for voltage? Resistance on the motor?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts