Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi been awhile since i posted. The nitro hasn't been giving me any problems as of late. I had a quick question as to im new to 4wd. I wanted to know how to properly use 4wd lock as we just got a snow storm here in montreal im just very hesitant to use it because i dont want to break anything. Can someone explain to me how to properly use it and how not to use it?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Not sure if it makes a difference, but I always stop.... shift to neutral..... then switch to 4wd lock. Then back in gear. Makes me feel better in neutral bc I know nothing is moving and I should get a good clean switch. I think it can be done while moving as well but that’s my preference on switching over. I do the same when going back to 2wd. Stop, neutral, back to 2wd, once switched back.... back to drive

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But like do i have to change the way i drive. I know not to go over 55 mph i think what about if i need to turn do i have to switch it off. Or can i keep it on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like let's say im in stop and go traffic should it be off or can i keep ot on. Side streets stop and go turning streets on or off. That kinda thing i need to know. Its that kinda stuff im un clear about.

·
Registered
521 Posts
yea, i mean obviously you dont want to be slinging it like a race car lol.......i never have really used it on the road...mainly use it for offroad use...but you can keep it on while you need it. your turning will be different so take turns slower.....if it is needed in that stop and go traffic to not hinder your driving then yea you should be ok to keep it on. My nitro is pretty capable with the upgrades and mods ive done...so when i offroad i usually just use it where i know its rough....then cut it back off until i need it again...or i get stuck in 2wd and then ill turn it on to get out. but i mean if youre on snow covered roads and cannot drive without it then you dont have to many options in my opinion. Some more aggresive tires may help you get around in 2wd better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks because here today we were hit and being hit with a heavy snow storm. Roads are pretty bad so just dont want to take the chance. With only 2wd trucks ass swings left and right.
I really appreciate the time you took to respond. Thank you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If the there is enough snow keep it in 4wd, no worries- just dont take hard turns on tarmac. When I had this transfer case on my nitro, I always used it while driving, just release throttle when you switch from 2wd to 4lock. When in 4lock, you have to know how to turn in snow- it handles a bittle bit differently than normal 4wd car.

·
Registered
521 Posts
agreed
If the there is enough snow keep it in 4wd, no worries- just dont take hard turns on tarmac. When I had this transfer case on my nitro, I always used it while driving, just release throttle when you switch from 2wd to 4lock. When in 4lock, you have to know how to turn in snow- it handles a bittle bit differently than normal 4wd car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So got home without a problem bad roads and barely used the 4x4 but when i did pretty fun stuff.
Just gotta say tho micheline x ice tires are fantastic so far for me. And im saying that having a problem with my traction control abs lights all on in the dash. Lol still havent gotten around to fixing that problem yet.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,327 Posts
You will find if the ground is not slick enough(in 4x4) in a turn, the front will bind up. It will feel like trying to drive with your brakes on hard and the steering wheel will fight to straighten. If that happens, STOP turning hard, straighten the wheel and back up a little, or if you have to, continue forward at less of a turn.
The reason I say to back up is to relieve the strain.
I do not usually switch to 4x4 on the fly. Simply because I know when the roads are bad enough to need it. If you can drive 50Mph then you don't need it! LOL
But as others have said, you can switch on the fly if there is no pressure on the drive train. IE the drive train needs to have no stress on it to switch. If you do switch it and there is to much stress then nothing will happen(IE it will stay in 4x4 or 4x2) and the 4wd light will flash. If that happens, switch it back to where is was before, and try again.
I did try switching on the fly once, and you need to be basically coasting for it to switch. Any acceleration, deceleration, turning, or braking will prevent it from moving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts