Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and a fairly new Nitro owner. I have a 2007 Nitro SXT Manual transmission, 3.7L and am having issues with the HVAC climate control unit. The Unit just quit working. The ac has never blown very cold. Big disappointment since I live in Central TX and summers can b triple digit and humidity, ridiculous. Only the fan or blower on the Unit works now. The blending doors are nonfunctional as well. Through process of elimination, we have narrowed the problem source down to electrical. Possibly the a/c switch, i.e.,climate control unit. According to an electrical schematic my bro found online, there is another power test point that goes to the climate control unit, S216. We have been unable to locate this point to further narrow down the problem. Any ideas?
Text Diagram Receipt Parallel
Automotive lighting Automotive fog light Auto part

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ravenspice. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

A question first. Is this the original HVAC control?
The reason I ask is if it is not original, or from the same year Nitro, it will not work.
I know this because a dealer replaced my HVAC control in an effort to improve my A/C performance. The problem lies in the newer HVAC controls programming. It could not talk to the other computers in the Nitro. Mainly the cluster. As a result, my cluster also had to be replaced to get them to work. Lucky for me this was all done while in warranty.

As far as wiring goes, anything that starts with an "S" is a splice.
It appears as if S216 is inside a split-loom tube.
But what is confusing to me is the S216 splice is not related to the HVAC controls, in the SM I have.
Fuse M15, TIPM connector C5 pin 4 is related to the brake light switch.
So I believe you are looking in the wrong place.

Have you tried a reset? Disconnect the Neg(-) battery cable for 10 minutes(with all connector connected.). This will reset the computers if there is a glitch

Always disconnect the Neg battery cable before you work on the Nitro. Others who have not heeded this warning, now have to replace their airbags and headliner.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
Check fuses J13, M11, and M34

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum Ravenspice. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

A question first. Is this the original HVAC control?
The reason I ask is if it is not original, or from the same year Nitro, it will not work.
I know this because a dealer replaced my HVAC control in an effort to improve my A/C performance. The problem lies in the newer HVAC controls programming. It could not talk to the other computers in the Nitro. Mainly the cluster. As a result, my cluster also had to be replaced to get them to work. Lucky for me this was all done while in warranty.

As far as wiring goes, anything that starts with an "S" is a splice.
It appears as if S216 is inside a split-loom tube.
But what is confusing to me is the S216 splice is not related to the HVAC controls, in the SM I have.
Fuse M15, TIPM connector C5 pin 4 is related to the brake light switch.
So I believe you are looking in the wrong place.

Have you tried a reset? Disconnect the Neg(-) battery cable for 10 minutes(with all connector connected.). This will reset the computers if there is a glitch

Always disconnect the Neg battery cable before you work on the Nitro. Others who have not heeded this warning, now have to replace their airbags and headliner.
Thanks for your reply Scar0. I bought my Nitro used a couple of years ago so I am not 100% sure that the climate control unit is original to the vehicle or not. I'm guessing it is. I have been researching your forum and have found others saying that they had to have the computer updated or reprogrammed. I'm not certain if this is something I need at this point or not. I'm hoping not, but it kinda explains why my a/c has never worked very well to begin with. I hate to imagine what this service will cost me since my Nitro is no longer under warranty.

Back to the S216 point. what exactly is a "split-loom tube"? And where can I get a Service Manual like yours?
I got my information from the PDF Nitro Repair Manual I bought online. The schematic that came with it, Is where I got this info. And is what I've been using to guide me. With that said, can u send me the schematic that u have for the HVAC controls? Also, what is the TIPM connector?

I have disconnected and reconnected the Neg battery cable. No help in resetting the a/c controls.

Last year around this time my bro and I replaced my Heater Core and had to remove the dash. The a/c was working, not super cold like I'd prefer, but was working. Then a few months later it quit. and so did the heater and the blending doors as well. The only thing operating on the climate control unit is the fan. It turns on and speeds work, but I cannot change the vents to which it can blow. I have suspected that maybe during dash reinstall, we got some wiring pinched or it became compromised somehow. We r trying to narrow down malfunction possibilities before removing the dash again since it is a pain in the a**. Also, the steering seems to catch at a point when turning, but then seems to release. Kinda like a jerk. This also began happening after we reinstalled the dash. Any more advice you can offer would be Muy (much) appreciated. Thanks.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,657 Posts
TIPM (Totally Integrated Power Module), is the computerized fuse box.
In your graphic, if you look at the the right end of the red dashed line, you will see two sets of # and letters. The one above the line "4" is the "Pin" number in the plug.
The one below the line "C5" is the plug /Connector number going to that module.
A split-loom tube is a corrugated plastic tube that has a split all the way down the side. They are used to protect and contain wire, or a loom of wires.

I have several different SMs;
The E-bay Pdf files version is not good to say the least. It has completely missing sections and incorrect info in other sections.
I also have the full set of 4 official SM books(2007 KA). Very detailed, very thin 8x10" pages, 7" tall stacked on their sides. Also an E-bay find.
Last but not least, I have the 08 KK and 08 KA official SM CDs, sold by CJD(chrysler,jeep,dodge).
You can still buy the CDs from Dodge, but the books you can only buy used.
I can't give you a schematic, they are copyrighted. And I can only summarize what I read in the books. Again, because they are copyrighted. My books and CDs have more then paid for themselves already. By saving me having to go to a dealer to get minor things fixed, plus was very helpful with my clutch replacement.

Pull the HVAC controls out and look for a part # on it. If you can find one, I can try looking up the # to see what year it is.
If you can match that # on E-bay, you may be able to find one for not so much $. At least then you will know if it is the controls or not.

When you replaced the heater core, did you have the A/C professionally evacuated and then professionally recharged after the work was done? Did you replace the "O" ring on the A/C pipes?

The steering wheel should not be binding up. That could be a very big safety issue if not addressed ASAP.

Reactions: Ravenspice

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and a fairly new Nitro owner. I have a 2007 Nitro SXT Manual transmission, 3.7L and am having issues with the HVAC climate control unit. The Unit just quit working. The ac has never blown very cold. Big disappointment since I live in Central TX and summers can b triple digit and humidity, ridiculous. Only the fan or blower on the Unit works now. The blending doors are nonfunctional as well. Through process of elimination, we have narrowed the problem source down to electrical. Possibly the a/c switch, i.e.,climate control unit. According to an electrical schematic my bro found online, there is another power test point that goes to the climate control unit, S216. We have been unable to locate this point to further narrow down the problem. Any ideas?
View attachment 23795 View attachment 23796
Hello
Could you give me some tips on replacing my evaporator probe sensor? I was told you do not have to remove the dash. Is that true? Do you have the steps by steps on how to remove the sensor? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts