Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These cars are noted for poor heat over time due to plugging heater core; it’s a flaw in the design. In case it isn’t already known, I would like to share my fix.

My 2007 was coming up to temp normally by the gauge, but putting out lukewarm heat. Temp gauge in the defroster vent topped out at 85 degrees F.

First step was to pull the heater hoses and flush back and forth with high pressure. Didn’t do a thing. A temp gun showed about 35 degrees difference between the hoses; the issue was definitely circulation in the core. Recommendation was replace heater core. But first we tried something that fixed it!

The hoses were removed from the engine, drained, and tied up high. Now for the cure: we bought a jug of CLR (stands for calcium/lime/rust) and poured both hoses full. We let it sit for about an hour. Then poured out and flushed the core thoroughly in both directions with high pressure water. Reconnect hoses, top off coolant, and let it warm up. Once the system was burped we had temps at the defroster vent of 145! Where it would barely defrost the windshield, now we have to actually turn it down in a few miles. A check of hose temps showed a difference of about 5 degrees. What a gift to have proper heat!

I post this in the hopes that somebody with a nitro or a liberty will go to the ‘net looking for help and find this great solution. Here’s hoping it helps you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Bams, i ordered your recomendation. CLR is not common in Germany. But i will get this stuff from Amazon Global Store and will try when it arrives.

Did you use it unthinned, pure? I wonder, you say let it sit one hour. I used Liqui Moly Cooler Cleaner without any evidence.

But your recomendation is worth a try! (y)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, just pour it in full strength. Blow out all the coolant you can then fill both hoses.

I think this works because it dissolves the minerals better than any automotive product. Normally we use it for dissolving hard water deposits and rust stains on showers and such.

Mine worked with one treatment. Good luck!

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,142 Posts
These cars are noted for poor heat over time due to plugging heater core; it’s a flaw in the design. In case it isn’t already known, I would like to share my fix.

My 2007 was coming up to temp normally by the gauge, but putting out lukewarm heat. Temp gauge in the defroster vent topped out at 85 degrees F.

First step was to pull the heater hoses and flush back and forth with high pressure. Didn’t do a thing. A temp gun showed about 35 degrees difference between the hoses; the issue was definitely circulation in the core. Recommendation was replace heater core. But first we tried something that fixed it!

The hoses were removed from the engine, drained, and tied up high. Now for the cure: we bought a jug of CLR (stands for calcium/lime/rust) and poured both hoses full. We let it sit for about an hour. Then poured out and flushed the core thoroughly in both directions with high pressure water. Reconnect hoses, top off coolant, and let it warm up. Once the system was burped we had temps at the defroster vent of 145! Where it would barely defrost the windshield, now we have to actually turn it down in a few miles. A check of hose temps showed a difference of about 5 degrees. What a gift to have proper heat!

I post this in the hopes that somebody with a nitro or a liberty will go to the ‘net looking for help and find this great solution. Here’s hoping it helps you!
When I was working in a shop, I used CLR to flush a heater core on a Audi TT... works GREAT! Haven’t had to do it to my Nitro personally (2011 with 170K miles) but if the time may ever come, I would use CLR on my own

·
Registered
51 Posts
Happy new Year ... All the best for all people in this forum!

It starts with a new problem because Amazon canceled my order und it seems to be very difficult to buy CLR in germany .. :sneaky: Don't know where to get from its not available in ebay or amazon.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
here is a link that shows CLR's chemical content, maybe find something similar in Germany (coffee machine, washing machine, limescale cleaner)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Nitrogen, thanks for searching and help for me ..

I can find in the US, but shipping is not cheap .. and there may be a problem with fluids to bei assumed as explosives by the deployers / shipping companies.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Thanks for the tip. I just flushed my core. This was the fourth time over the years. I was under the impression that the clogging was due to casting sand left in the engine during manufacturing of the engine block that wasn't cleaned out by the factory. I'm buying the CLR today.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm buying the CLR today.
You are a lucky guy. I tried everything possible, but no chance to buy here in Germany. :poop:

I found a strange Hearing Location at the left blend door actuator hinge. Seems to be damaged, twisted and broken.

Greetings from Germany
Fritz

·
Registered
42 Posts
here is a link that shows CLR's chemical content, maybe find something similar in Germany (coffee machine, washing machine, limescale cleaner)
I use citric acid for descaling coffee machines. Same stuff as in the marketed coffee pot cleaner/descalers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also used citric acid. But no improvements. The heat seems top.be stuck inside the HVAC.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
just be careful what you use, very easy to damage the heater core with acid, compressed air and pressurized water
and such a big job to replace it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In spring when temperature rises i will change the heater core. Not yet, too cold and painful for plastic parts. They are too stiff and break asap.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,459 Posts
Just want to jump in here and also mention using hard water to mix with the antifreeze can also cause issues.
One should only used distilled water to dilute the coolant, it you buy the concentrate version.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts