Abs, Bas, Trac Control Lights?

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro Electrical Problems and Questions' started by appleb11, Apr 12, 2018.

1. appleb11

appleb11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Deep Water Blue
    For some reason, my abs, bas esp, and traction control lights come on randomly.

This past weekend, we took a trip from Ohio down to Tennessee and about halfway there as I'm going around an on ramp, they all came on. The nitro still drove fine. When we got there and let it sit for a while, they went off and stayed off until today. They came on again and the nitro kind of jolted when they did.

I went home and they went off till I was on my way to work and in the middle of the highway, they came on and the car became unresponsive (gave it gas and nothing happened) I had to pull over for a minute to give it a break. I've had this car for almost 2 years and never had this problem before. Any ideas?

2. Nitrogen

Nitrogen Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

could be a ABS wheel speed sensor gone bad, i had this on my Nitro, i didn't have the unresponsive fault, just had all the ABS ESP etc lights flashing.
    turned out to be a wheel speed sensor, about a month before this happened i had serviced my brakes, unknowingly i had pulled on the Wheel speed sensor wires, they ended up rubbing on the inside of the brake disc, eventualy they broke.

you could check if a fault code has been stored.

3. appleb11

appleb11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Deep Water Blue
    I will check those out, maybe just replace both for the heck of it. Do they need to be programmed or anything if replaced?

4. Nitrogen

there are 4, 1 for each wheel, they don't have to be programmed,
    but you need to check that the sensor is your problem.
    normaly you can ask your local parts store to check the vehicle for a fault code, this would give you a good indication of the fault ( most part stores do this for free ).
    they can be a pain in the backside to change, normaly because they are hard to pull out of there housing, and if i remember the rear are difficult to access.

5. appleb11

appleb11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Deep Water Blue
    Okay, I'll have that done tomorrow. I would still like to know why it became unresponsive and if it relates to that. Hopefully it was a one time thing and doesn't happen again

Nitrogen likes this.
  6. Nitrogen

it could be a fault with the ABS, ( fingers crossed it's Not ).
    if you haven't already, take a look at some of the other posts regarding ABS related issues.
    retreiving a fault code would be a great start for finding the cause of this issue.

7. appleb11

appleb11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Deep Water Blue
    I will check for a code tomorrow and post back on here any results

8. ShinobiOne

ShinobiOne New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro sxt 2.8d auto
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    Hey Appleb11.. I share your pain.. Picked up our 2nd nitro a few weeks back (09plate), took it on a longer run yesterday, and it did exactly what yours did. My wife said it happened to her also a couple of times. The truck drives fine.. No difference.. Brakes all work.. Haven't tried to see if ESP doesn't work for obvious reasons! BAS is also lit up.

As an additional thing.. We were on the motorway and using cruise control.. Then through a more built up area.. Stop/start traffic, when the lights all pinged on. Switching the engine off and back on didn't sort it. Then we returned to the motorway.. Went to use cruise.. The cruise light lights up like normal, but you can't set the speed.. The car doesn't hold a cruise speed. Finally on arriving at our destination, reversing into a space.. The parking sensors didn't work.. The LED display at the rear roof headlining just displays 2 red LED lights.. All the while these ABS/ESP/BAS lights are constantly on on the dashboard.

On our drive home.. (Motorway) the lights all turned off and everything was back to normal and fully functional!

The point I'm making is that this is an electrical fault and it affects more than just ABS/ESP/BAS.. It would be interesting to know if anyone else has noted any other systems being affected..

9. appleb11

appleb11 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Deep Water Blue
    Since I made this post, I haven’t experienced any more problems with mine. I have driven it back and forth to work everyday, about 25 minutes each way and around town and haven’t had any problems. So I don’t know what its issue was.

10. SnoopyIsMyHero

SnoopyIsMyHero Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro 3.7 4x4 stock
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Electric Blue
    I had this happen on my RAM about a year ago. It was intermittent and hard to recreate. I ended monitoring the PCM in the Torque app for about two weeks before it happened again. Turned out to be the speed sensor in the transmission would randomly flake out of a few seconds, taking those functions out at same time.

11. NITROSHRV

NITROSHRV Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Color:
    Electric Blue
    I found that the level sensor in my brake reservoir was sticking. Causing my lights to come on for a short. Then hit a hard bump. Would go off. I change the reservoir an no problems since.

Scar0 likes this.