Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of a weird one. On the way home from work my wife ran over a "small stick". As she did so, the ABS, ESP and Traction Control Lights cam on. When she got home and reversed into the drive, she noticed that the rear parking sensors din't work either.

Just ran a code scan with a simple scanner, but nothing comes up.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now checked under the car for ripped out cables... nothing that I can see. Disconnected the battery to see if it reset... no luck. Ran a scan again, this time with a Delphi OBD diagnostic tool... no codes.

Very odd.

Edit: Even odder is that I now remember having the exact same problem almost exactly a year ago. Looking back at the thread I posted reveals that wiggling the connector to the rear parking sensors seemed to sort it. I'll try that in the morning.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After grovelling around under the Nitro for an hour in the p!!!ing rain, I have sorted it.

It was nothing to do with the connector to the parking sensors. The small stick had bounced up and smashed the connector on the right hand rear wheel speed sensor.

I'm still baffled as to why no codes were showing at all. Even my early 1990's Rover could self diagnose ABS problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So you replaced the sensor?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, the stick smashed the locking catch on the connector to he sensor and pulled it loose. I pushed the connector back in and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did your ABS light come on when starting the car up or after driving down the road a bit?

Basically, I have a continual amber parking sensor light and after driving a few seconds, my ESP/BAS light comes on and stays on until I switch the engine off

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
do you mean the hand brake light ?
if so you maybe low on brake fluid, if the brake fluid is low this could explane why the ESP/BAS lights are coming on,
the vehicles computer may be switching off the ESP/BAS because there is a problem somewhere in the brake system
ie: low fluid. fingers crossed.
same thing happened to me when i had a WSS problem ABS / ESP and BAS lights came on, cruise control stopped working, fixed WSS and everything as been fine since (touch wood and all that).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did your ABS light come on when starting the car up or after driving down the road a bit?
The light came on immediately, the connector was dislodged by stick. Subsequently, it would come on after starting and driving down the road a 100 yards or so.

Basically, I have a continual amber parking sensor light and after driving a few seconds, my ESP/BAS light comes on and stays on until I switch the engine off
See Nitrogen's reply above for that. I had the same problem that Nitrogen had with my 300C. A duff rear wheel speed sensor (the ABS pickup) put the car in limp mode, including locking it in 1st gear. I happened to be in southern Germany at the time 700 miles from home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts