Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not driven my Nitro lately because I have a full time work truck. Last week I drove it and had to slam on my brakes because of another motorist. The next day my wife drove the nitro and all the dash lights came on. It happens right after the nitro starts rolling. I ran a scan on the Nitro and got code C2200 "ANTI-LOCK BRAKE MODULE INTERNAL". I also checked the speed censers and all four wheels are showing that there working.

Anybody have any ideas?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
Sounds like one of the valves got stuck. The SM says to replace the Antilock Brake Module with a C2200 code.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Sounds like one of the valves got stuck. The SM says to replace the Antilock Brake Module with a C2200 code.
Maybe before you do this, pump the brakes, do lots of stops, etc, to try and free the valve, to save some $ if you can. :thk: Maybe this is one of those instances where nothing can be done to resolve the problem except replacing the part. :( Are all of the lights still on? How long was it sitting? Could be moisture in the brake hydralic system.

:cool:

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe before you do this, pump the brakes, do lots of stops, etc, to try and free the valve, to save some $ if you can. :thk: Maybe this is one of those instances where nothing can be done to resolve the problem except replacing the part. :( Are all of the lights still on? How long was it sitting? Could be moisture in the brake hydralic system.

:cool:

It sat for about three months; my wife would drive it every now and then to keep the battery up.

I can order the part at dealer cost throw a friend its only $160, the problem is the can bus has to be programed on it for my car so I will have to see a dealer.

What I can’t find is the diagnostic procedure for it, or if there is alternate fixes and trouble shooting for that trouble code.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
Disconnect the battery and see if the error code resets. Drive it again and see if it sets again.
The SM says to us a Starscan to clear the code, cycle the ignition key and see if the code comes back.
If it does, replace the module.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
disconnect the battery and see if the error code resets. Drive it again and see if it sets again.

i have not disconnected the battery.

the sm says to us a starscan to clear the code, cycle the ignition key and see if the code comes back.
i have done this but using my laptop. The code is cleared the car starts up it does not throw a code untill the car starts moving then i get the dash lights and the c2200 code.

if it does, replace the module.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
Bummer. To bad you can't blame it on your past TIPM issues. It'd be nice if Dodge would pick up the tab...

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
Welcome to the forum joseson79. :wave:
When you have a chance head over to the
Newbie Section and say "Hi".
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Do you have the same error code as mini? If not it may be something else.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have not driven my Nitro lately because I have a full time work truck. Last week I drove it and had to slam on my brakes because of another motorist. The next day my wife drove the nitro and all the dash lights came on. It happens right after the nitro starts rolling. I ran a scan on the Nitro and got code C2200 "ANTI-LOCK BRAKE MODULE INTERNAL". I also checked the speed censers and all four wheels are showing that there working.

Anybody have any ideas?
Going way back but what was the end result on this please? It would be helpful as I am having this problem! Thanks!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
Welcome to the forum Andrea. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Do you have the same code as mini did?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes I do, very similar scenario. My mechanic wants to order module, but I want the connections checked first. Wanted to see mini's outcome.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
Unfortunately mini has not been on the forum since May 24, 2017.

Code C2200 = Anti-lock brake module internal; Possible causes, ABM internal failure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well darn! It has only come on a few times and doesn't remain on. I have read through tons of threads. I only told them the code at mechanic, I got the tire shop to run the check on it today for the history and that is how I got it. I just believe that the code isn't representational of 100% we have to change the module. Corrosion, loose wire, etc. should be checked first.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
You are correct. You have what is called an intermittent condition. IE it does not happen all the time... In this case they should check the wires, plugs, grounds, voltage drops, etc.
If the wires and plugs to the anti-lock brake module and PCM are OK, the wires and voltage are Ok, the grounds are OK. Only then should they replace the module. This is according to procedures in the service manual.
You can check the ABS fuses, J6 and J7 in the TIPM (computerized fuse box).
But if they were bad the code would set all the time.

Dumb question, but I have to ask. Is the brake fluid full?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response. It is under and inboard of the brake fluid fill reservoir. It will have several steel tubes coming out of it.

Before doing any work on the Nitro, disconnect the Neg (-) battery cable and wait 10 minutes!
This will allow time for the airbag capacitors to discharge.
You don't want to have your airbags go off accidentally.
It has already happened to a few members here...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am going to follow your instructions and take a look tomorrow. I also texted my mechanic and they are going to check everything out before we consider changing the module. I don't think I told him today that the first time the warnings went off it was a rainy day. The second time was last weekend and I was in a LOT of water. Today, dry. But after the tire shop pulled the code today, the light remained on until I turned the engine off. Waited a while drove it, no brake warnings. Intermittent for sure. They are used to me over thinking everything! And sometimes I am right! And FOR SURE, when there is a resolution, I will be posting it! My gosh, that is so important! I thank you, and will let you know what I see tomorrow. I am going to look for a loose connection, corrosion etc. Hey, thank you so much! Sincerely!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,214 Posts
Your welcome.
Hope it is an easy fix.
When I installed my lift kit, I pulled the TIPM off the support brackets and found a wire partially worn thru. It was rubbing on the rear bracket, on the inboard side.
Which, by the way, is right next to the ABM(Anti-lock Brake Module). Lucky for me it was not worn thru yet.
Anyway, be sure to check there.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts