Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in the Spring my AC stopped working. Took it to a local shop and they re charged it and it worked fine throughout the summer. Now about 2 weeks ago it stopped working again so I took it back and the shop replace the "Air conditioner probe" and that did absolutely nothing. It is just blowing the air from outside on me. Yesterday it was cold and the air was somewhat cold. Today it warmed back up and it's blowing pretty hot air on me. The shop said there was no leaks. I might get it re charged again this weekend but it seems like theres a bigger problem than that. Does anybody know what's wrong? The heat works perfectly by the way.

·
Registered
147 Posts
A thought that comes to mind is the AC Compressor. Generally there is a different sound when you have the compressor on compared to it off (at least for me, it is kind of hard to explain). You would generally notice it under acceleration since the engine has to work a little harder to turn the compressor.

You might be able to use the screw driver trick to see if it sounds like it is working, but I am not 100% sure what to listen for. Just be careful when with the screw driver tick next to moving parts. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probly the A/C Compressor clutch has gone bad. That is what is wrong with mine!
look at the A/C Compressor on top of engine in front of it there is a clutch inside the A/C pulley.

Pop the hood with the engine running. turn the a/c on full blast. look at the A/C Compressor you should see it spinning.. clicking on and off. if it clicks on and off rapidly then its low on fre-on.. if not at all then it is either the clutch or the wiring going to it.. most likely the clutch.. mine only has 65k on it and it went bad...

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,305 Posts
Low or high pressure will also prevent the A/C from engaging the clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
But if you have had it re-charged, chances are the pressure is good.. unless the shop dose not know what they are doing.. if you want to check that out, get a can of re-charge and a nozzle with a gauge, and check it out your self should be around 35-45 psi depending on temp outside. the bottle will say exactly the psi required.. any way the nozzle should only fit on the low psi side..

With the car running and A/C on blast is when you check the proper psi..

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,305 Posts
It hasn't been recharged since spring. If I am reading the post correctly.
If it was low then, odds are it is again now.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everybody for all the help so fast. And yes Scar0 is hasn't been recharged since probably May. Is it a common thing to recharge the AC every 6 months?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,305 Posts
Nope! If it is low again there is a leak somewhere.
My 07 has not been recharged at all.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine is an 07 and is still friggin' COLD. Even used a lot, it should stay reasonably cool. He's right, probably a small leak.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Mine has worked since day one, but never gets really cold! I guess this is OK now, since it is winter! :eek:

:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have nitro 2007 r/t with a/c problem i replaced some parts included internal blower and the problem persist. My problem is the a/c working only when i turn on my vehicle still on like 20 minutes and after that bye self is off and not coming back. The compressor and the rest continue working. Please someone help me

Attachments

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,305 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Gallo PR. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

So what is not working? A/C or air flow?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts