Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after waiting a month for an appointment at a high end custom stereo shop to install the new viper 1 mile range remote starter...and a veteran tech taking 7 hours jacking with my Nitro, they have advised me that no one in the U.S. or Canada makes a proper module for our vehicle. However they said that one place has intent to complete one by end of Feb 07. They also said I would need to give up a valet key. Anyone have any info on this subject? I really dont want to resort to getting a stock remote start with only a 300ft. range, plus I heard its a pain to it install it for dealers, after the fact (not sure of the truth here, I heard this from that shop)

Thanx

·
Registered
10 Posts
hi there, I just had a remote start installed on my Nitro this last Monday. It was dealer installed, they provided me with a rental while they did the work, only took the day! Dropped it off on Monday morning and it was ready in the afternoon!
It was part of what was called the "Silver Package" from protector. Where they rust proof everything and add some fabric protection to the seats. I didn't have the YES, so I went for it. Anyway, the actual brand of the remote start is PURSUIT...hope that helps!

I never had a remote start before, I love it...especially now that the cold has finally found it's way to chicago!

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Well, after waiting a month for an appointment at a high end custom stereo shop to install the new viper 1 mile range remote starter...and a veteran tech taking 7 hours jacking with my Nitro, they have advised me that no one in the U.S. or Canada makes a proper module for our vehicle. However they said that one place has intent to complete one by end of Feb 07. They also said I would need to give up a valet key. Anyone have any info on this subject? I really dont want to resort to getting a stock remote start with only a 300ft. range, plus I heard its a pain to it install it for dealers, after the fact (not sure of the truth here, I heard this from that shop)

Thanx
The Mopar remote start system is virtually a plug and play system compared to aftermarket systems. There are only a handful of wires that need to be tapped in (ground, speed sensor, hood switch, etc.) as compared to as many as 60 on an aftermarket remote start. Plus, it's covered by the factory warranty. Take your Nitro in for an electrical problem and wait and see what the dealer's response will be when they see the aftermarket remote start. It will be the first thing blamed, whether it is the cause or not. Not worth the hassle to me. The standard kit range is 800 ft. You can purchase the upgraded kit for an extra $100 or so and the range will be around 1600 feet, plus it's a 2 way key fob. It will chirp, vibrate and flash an LEd to let you know the vehicle is running.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
PS - I realize some dealers are not as experienced as others when installing this kind of stuff. Talk to your selling dealer. Find out how many they've done. If you're not confident, call around to a few other dealers. You could even buy the parts and take them to a local aftermarket place (a good one, not a best buy, circuit city) and have them install it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Mopar remote start system is virtually a plug and play system compared to aftermarket systems. There are only a handful of wires that need to be tapped in (ground, speed sensor, hood switch, etc.) as compared to as many as 60 on an aftermarket remote start. Plus, it's covered by the factory warranty. Take your Nitro in for an electrical problem and wait and see what the dealer's response will be when they see the aftermarket remote start. It will be the first thing blamed, whether it is the cause or not. Not worth the hassle to me. The standard kit range is 800 ft. You can purchase the upgraded kit for an extra $100 or so and the range will be around 1600 feet, plus it's a 2 way key fob. It will chirp, vibrate and flash an LEd to let you know the vehicle is running.

Wow, Radioman.. I had no idea thier was an upgraded kit avail. Do you happen to know the product number on the Mopar remote w/upgrade kit ?? Then I an call my dealership and order the right thing. Thankyou so much, your insight on the "blame" makes sense.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Wow, Radioman.. I had no idea thier was an upgraded kit avail. Do you happen to know the product number on the Mopar remote w/upgrade kit ?? Then I an call my dealership and order the right thing. Thankyou so much, your insight on the "blame" makes sense.
Module - 82208859AB
Install kit - 82209984AG
Upgrade kit - 82209985AG (still requires purchase of first 2 kits)
Additional 2 way key fobs - 68002279AA

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Module - 82208859AB
Install kit - 82209984AG
Upgrade kit - 82209985AG (still requires purchase of first 2 kits)
Additional 2 way key fobs - 68002279AA
I ordered these today from the dealer $570 with install minus the additional 2wy fob. A bit higher than ordering the parts online, but I want all issue covered my purchased from dealer.

Thanx again, maybe I'll luck out and not have all the issue some people are having. I will print out all the info/issues off this site and hand it to the tech, maybe that will help. I cant take anymore freezing evenings after work. haha

G

·
PS - I realize some dealers are not as experienced as others when installing this kind of stuff. Talk to your selling dealer. Find out how many they've done. If you're not confident, call around to a few other dealers. You could even buy the parts and take them to a local aftermarket place (a good one, not a best buy, circuit city) and have them install it.
Got any advice on an aftermarket overhead dvd player? I have an SLT with the 6disc radio. I was gonna check out Best Buy but I'm not going to after what I heard here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.