Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shopping around for an aftermarket hitch for my R/T. Valley, Reese and Hidden all have a nice unit. My question to all of you out there is...

The tow package that comes on the R/T from the factory is rated around 5000 lbs... If you talk to any of the local dealers they can put an OEM hitch on for you for around $300 or so but its only rated at 2000 lbs.

I am probably going to put a Valley on mine but I was wondering why the heck the dealer would only be selling one rated at 2000 If its the same as the factory one? Anyone have any idea on this? Thanks in advance.

-Lil'

·
Registered
415 Posts
i may be wrong...

but i think if you read the factory hitch info it says something like "5000 lbs when properly equipped" which i think means you need a weight distributing hitch on the trailer

the dealer hitch is (again i may be wrong) the same as the factory hitch. but to protect and keep the dealer from getting sued they rate it at only 2000 lbs

alos i think the R/T is rated to tow the 5000 lbs and the other models are only rated to tow 2000 lbs so againg to be safe they just list the 2000 lb rating

again i am no expert but i have towed a 24 ft enclosed trailer with a dodge ram and had a 5000 lb hitch but towed over 8000 lbs becasue of the weight distributing hitch on the trailer

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Warriorbob. I have an R/T and the dealer explained to me that the R/T comes equipped with a larger radiator to compensate for the tow cooling rather than having a separate trans cooler. If you add the tow package to the SLT or SXT they add the R/T radiator more or less and the hitch and wiring.

I am only towing 2 jet skis which is probably under 2000 lbs anyway but I was curious why the large difference in weight capacity. Thanks for the insight.

-Lil'

·
Registered
790 Posts
i may be wrong...
alos i think the R/T is rated to tow the 5000 lbs and the other models are only rated to tow 2000 lbs so againg to be safe they just list the 2000 lb rating
According to the Dodge website & the dealer I bought from, the only Nitro not able to tow 5000 lbs is the manual transmission SXT. It's rated at 3500 lbs. Anything equipped with the "Trailer Tow Group" should do the full 5000. As I recall this includes a tranny cooler, PS cooler (?), full size spare tire, tow hitch & wiring.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is all explained in this table, which is in the chassis & suspension forum, for some reason:

http://www.nitroforumz.com/showthread.php?t=686

If you tow over capacity, typically what ends up happening is you eat up your gears and other internal pieces over time. You'd have to pull quite a bit over capacity to suffer a catastrophic failure right off the bat. The tow group includes the things AirJunky lists except a power steering cooler. Personally I'd add an oil cooler, too. They're cheap and easy to install though you might have to get creative with a pipe bender.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Cut right from the Dodge Nitro website

Ready. Set. Pull. Nitro R/T can tow a whopping 5,000 pounds* when equipped with the optional Trailer Tow Group (which includes heavy-duty engine and power steering coolers, class III hitch reciever, full-size spare tire, and a trailer tow wiring harness) and a class III weight-distributing trailer hitch. Nitro can tow trailers weighing up to 3,500 pounds with the addition of class II weight-carrying trailer hitch.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I read an article that mentions everything above, but they also said that the rear springs are beefier. They recommended getting the trailer package (even if you don't tow anything) because there was an improvement in handling and maneuvers both on and off the test track. My local dealer agrees, saying that they can feel a diffrerence between the 2 just during their sedate test drives.:Racing:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Your friend is probably the best source for accurate info. I couldn't find the article, but I'm pretty sure it was a test drive article written before Nitros even hit the dealers...you know those car mags don't always get it straight!

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
RT with trailer tow?

So I just went to the dodge website to rebuild my RT. Noticed that you cannot get the fulltime 4wd like you used to be able to do. I got my rt with the fulltime, but I'm reading that this will not be out until July? And now when you build the RT you cannot get the Trailer Tow Group. I tried to build an SLT and you can only get the Trailer Tow Group with the 17in wheels and not the 20s. Can anyone verify this, since I don't want ANY MORE surprises when I get this, only God knows when!:confused:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Dodge build and price web page

So I just went to the dodge website to rebuild my RT. Noticed that you cannot get the fulltime 4wd like you used to be able to do. I got my rt with the fulltime, but I'm reading that this will not be out until July? And now when you build the RT you cannot get the Trailer Tow Group. I tried to build an SLT and you can only get the Trailer Tow Group with the 17in wheels and not the 20s. Can anyone verify this, since I don't want ANY MORE surprises when I get this, only God knows when!:confused:
I just did the same thing as you. Yes, the fulltime 4wd is gone. I guess that explains why it is off the restricted list. I hope you are OK with the part time transfer case. The price is down $650.00, so that could be thought of as good news.

However, I have been searching about the trailer tow group. Kelly Blue Book shows that it is now STANDARD on the R/T, so that would explain why it is no longer listed as an option. Thanks for posting. This is what makes this site so good. More eyes looking around the better.;)

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't mind the transfer case since I will save some $ on the gas. And glad to hear the tow group is standard! I need to haul my boat to the lake to fish the summer away!!! And this site has more info then any dodge dealer could possibly imagine!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
However, about the trailer tow group. Kelly Blue Book shows that it is now STANDARD on the R/T
Correction: Earlier post I said trailer tow group is standard on R/T at KBB. Not so any longer. The price has increased on the tow option, as well as most other options. The reason the price went down on the Dodge website is they no longer list all available options. Dodge web site prices are old and no longer correct. The trailer tow group is still a valid option for the R/T. If you have ordered a fully loaded R/T, the price has increased about $600. Be on the lookout for $1000 cash incentives and take advantage of them if they exist.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.